• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Waxing / waterproofing

IAM ODIN

Extremely Talkative
Good evening everyone, low and behokd i was in my loft today and found an old para bergen i had forgotten i have :/ Metal frame. Waxed bergen i believe.
Any tips for best wax/reviving treatments?

Nikwax 👍🏻 Used it on my fishing jackets and it’s braw 👍🏻.

the spray on stuff? always wondered if that would really do the job.
tried spray-on stuff on my mountain boots, underwhelming i'd have to say. but doing boots has got to be the torture test when it comes to wet weather treatments.

the spray on stuff? always wondered if that would really do the job.
tried spray-on stuff on my mountain boots, underwhelming i'd have to say. but doing boots has got to be the torture test when it comes to wet weather treatments.

Spray buddy 👍🏻 Never tried it on boots, I would agree tho, that would be the test.... few years back when I was hunting I use a candle And dry rubbed it over my boots then used the wife’s hairdryer to melt it into the fabric, worked a treat, seen it on a YouTube video, it’s not perfect but you can tell the difference 👍🏻 Just had a look on the evilbay and I came across Wax for equestrian equipment ?? This stuff should work a would imagine?

sounds promising. gotta admit though i have a bad habit of being sceptical-by-nature when it comes to stuff the horsey crowd touts. always suspected it's just vanilla civilian stuff with some fancified packaging. probably horribly narrow-minded of me but where i grew up nobody rode a horse for fun.

been wondering about the waterproofing techniques the guys on the U-tube do. wax makes sense, some use a bit of pitch thrown in which is hard to argue with. recently tried one formula which included boiled linseed oil. i'm happy i just did that on a surplus canvas haversack though, damn thing is stiff as a board now.

i've got a clapped-out old British army smock that i'm keen to experiment on a bit, hoping to give it a bit of water resistance. still trying to decide which DIY formula i want to go with.

sounds promising. gotta admit though i have a bad habit of being sceptical-by-nature when it comes to stuff the horsey crowd touts. always suspected it's just vanilla civilian stuff with some fancified packaging. probably horribly narrow-minded of me but where i grew up nobody rode a horse for fun.

been wondering about the waterproofing techniques the guys on the U-tube do. wax makes sense, some use a bit of pitch thrown in which is hard to argue with. recently tried one formula which included boiled linseed oil. i'm happy i just did that on a surplus canvas haversack though, damn thing is stiff as a board now.

i've got a clapped-out old British army smock that i'm keen to experiment on a bit, hoping to give it a bit of water resistance. still trying to decide which DIY formula i want to go with.

Or just get dry bags.... 🤔

Back