• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

We bought woodland!

Especially in the Hazels...

image.jpeg

Its a beautiful location Paul, what's the water situation like or do you have to carry it in?

It's a fantastic place and we feel priveleged to own it, we fulfilled a dream!....There is water on site Joe, we had it installed when we bought the woods. The woods was only planted about 14/15 years ago, so still quite young.
But there is always something to do, today we assembled a set of galv steel shelves in the horsebox, then felled three tress to enlarge base camp clearing and cut them into logs for the winter and tossed them in the trailer, when its full we will bring them home, smaller stuff gets stacked ready for the eventual firepit, the really small stuff forms a brash basecamp fence...
Next visit will see a couple more trees come down, then more brush cutting, to create a new ride (footpath) to join on the one we already created, we aim to have a path that meanders the full length of the woods from bottom to basecamp, then create a few grassy clearings along the way.
Eventually we will plant native Bluebells and Primroses....
All good fun!

It's a fantastic place and we feel priveleged to own it, we fulfilled a dream!....There is water on site Joe, we had it installed when we bought the woods. The woods was only planted about 14/15 years ago, so still quite young.
But there is always something to do, today we assembled a set of galv steel shelves in the horsebox, then felled three tress to enlarge base camp clearing and cut them into logs for the winter and tossed them in the trailer, when its full we will bring them home, smaller stuff gets stacked ready for the eventual firepit, the really small stuff forms a brash basecamp fence...
Next visit will see a couple more trees come down, then more brush cutting, to create a new ride (footpath) to join on the one we already created, we aim to have a path that meanders the full length of the woods from bottom to basecamp, then create a few grassy clearings along the way.
All good fun!
It sounds idyllic and well worth the effort you are putting into it. Are you going tgo cut the new path straight or let it meander (which is what I would do)

All good fun!
lt all looks lovely, what a great project to look forward to on those days when you are feeling down in the dumps. Where does your water come from? ls it drinkable or does it need treating? My latest project here was building a firepit. OH thinks l'm mad until l cook things on it and let him join me in eating them.

The new footpath(s) meander, We let the woods show us the way and take the easiest to clear route...water is from the mains, although its quite a long pipe, so it will need a good run through as it has sat a while, but it also feeds a couple of horse Paddocks and a cow trough, so its not too bad, each spur off the main (blue) pipe has a meter....
Going there is real tonic after those "God I hate my job" days, pretty much the only souds are wildlife, the occasional light aircraft, a bot of traffic noise from a B road not far away, Oh and a fat grey bloke with a chainsaw or brushcutter (me) Really looking forward to getting basecamp and the ride sorted, then we can try out hammocks and build a Firepit!

The new footpath(s) meander, We let the woods show us the way and take the easiest to clear route...water is from the mains, although its quite a long pipe, so it will need a good run through as it has sat a while, but it also feeds a couple of horse Paddocks and a cow trough, so its not too bad, each spur off the main (blue) pipe has a meter....
Going there is real tonic after those "God I hate my job" days, pretty much the only souds are wildlife, the occasional light aircraft, a bot of traffic noise from a B road not far away, Oh and a fat grey bloke with a chainsaw or brushcutter (me) Really looking forward to getting basecamp and the ride sorted, then we can try out hammocks and build a Firepit!
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing photos of the finished project Paul

I guess it fair to say "It's been a while!"
Other half had a serious illness early April 2018, which seriously curtailed most things not related to getting through to the next day....her medication is still not right but things are improving...
Anyroadup
When I can (average once a month) I've been to the woods and done a bit, mostly clearing bramble, which is an awful job, for which there doesn't appear to ge a "quick way" so brushcutter it is, slow, slow progress a tankful of fuel at a time, cos after a tankful my arms are about ready to drop off!
The bramble is about 6 to 8 feet high in huge drifts.....
In other news, we have been umming and ahhing about buying a trail camera, I had a lifes too short moment and just bought one, A Spypoint 11D, an bloody good it is too.
Dead easy to set up and use with plenty of choice of photo and video, for example you can set it to take only one or several photos when triggered by motion, or video length.....it takes up to a 32 gb SD memory card and the batteries last around a month, I got two cards so that I can swap batteries and the card, bring the used card home to download...
Early days but had some encouraging results.....
We have so far had
Rabbits, oh so many rabbits!
Hares
A Jay
Pigeons
Pheasants
Foxes
Badgers

Not yet managed to get video of Red Squirrel, seen one or two in the flesh, but would be chuffed to get some video footage......

Last edited:
Other half had a serious illness early April 2018, which seriously curtailed most things not related to getting theough to the next day....her medication is still not right but things are improving...
Anyroadup
When I can (average once a month) I've veen to the woods and done a bit, mostly clearing bramble, which is an awful job, for which tjere doesn't appear to ge a "quick way" so brushcutter it is, slow, slow progress a tankful of fuel at a time, cos after a tankful my arms are about ready to drop off!
In other news, we have been umming and ahhing about buying a trail camera, I had a lofes too short moment and just bought one, A Spypoint 11D, an bloody good it is too.
Dead easy to set up and use with pleanty of choice of photo and video, for example you can set it to take only one or several photos when triggered by motion, or video length.....it takes up to a 32 gb SD memory card and the batteries last around a month, I got two cards so that I can swap batteries and the card, bring the used card home to download...
We have so far had
Hares
A Jay
Pigeons
Pheasants
Foxes
Badgers

Not yet managed to get video of Red Squirrel, seen one or two in the flesh, but would be chuffed to get some video footage......
Nice write up Paul, I hope things continue to improve for you

Hi Paul.

Nice to see you about on the forum again đź‘Ť:)

Good to hear things are improving for your dear wife and you.
I expect you are both chomping at the bit waiting for Spring/Summer to enjoy some nice warm days in the wood together.
Very clear footage from the camera.....good fun too.
Look forward to seeing more :)

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. As I was working my way down the posts I was thinking. 'they need to build a shepherds hut on wheels", we had one for a few years during building work.

Other half had a serious illness early April 2018, which seriously curtailed most things not related to getting through to the next day....her medication is still not right but things are improving...
Anyroadup
When I can (average once a month) I've been to the woods and done a bit, mostly clearing bramble, which is an awful job, for which there doesn't appear to ge a "quick way" so brushcutter it is, slow, slow progress a tankful of fuel at a time, cos after a tankful my arms are about ready to drop off!
In other news, we have been umming and ahhing about buying a trail camera, I had a lifes too short moment and just bought one, A Spypoint 11D, an bloody good it is too.
Dead easy to set up and use with plenty of choice of photo and video, for example you can set it to take only one or several photos when triggered by motion, or video length.....it takes up to a 32 gb SD memory card and the batteries last around a month, I got two cards so that I can swap batteries and the card, bring the used card home to download...
We have so far had
Hares
A Jay
Pigeons
Pheasants
Foxes
Badgers

Welcome back
Sorry to hear about your good wife...glad things are on the up :D

Nice trail cam vidsđź‘Ť

Popped out to the woods today to check the camera, nothing of interest, so moved it a location with lots of animal tracks, so we'll see in a week or two...
So I took a couple of conventional photos...

Horsebox Hill from the top

Attachments

• DSC_6302.JPG
    DSC_6302.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 57
Back