• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

We Just Had A Doozy Of A Storm!

Keith

Very Addicted
The forest shelters us from the wind, but I am surprised the thunder didn't make me jump! It was without a doubt the biggest loudest crack I have ever heard. Sheet lightening I think, directly over the main house! Lots of rain so as soon as the storm started to move away & went outside & pumped water up to the top tank from the overflowing lower tank.
I hope there is more water in the Cottage tanks. The girls up in the cottage are townies, born & bred, & they have used more water in 6 months than we did in 20 years whilst living up there! I shall have to have words with them before they use up all our outside laundry water as well!!!
Keith.

we have woods near us, they are slightly higher than us so protect us when the storms come from the coast about 25 miles away, we call them "shelter belt" something I don't think many townies have heard of because as soon as they buy a place in the country they chop down all the trees.

we have woods near us, they are slightly higher than us so protect us when the storms come from the coast about 25 miles away, we call them "shelter belt" something I don't think many townies have heard of because as soon as they buy a place in the country they chop down all the trees.
Can't understand that attitude. We were advised to do the same when we bought this forest, insane!!! Took us ages looking for properties uncleared covered in rocks & trees & all we were ever shown was cleared paddocks!
Keith.

i see it happening every time someone from the city buys a country property, a lot don't even live in them fulltime just a few weeks in the summer, got one a couple of miles up the road from us just off one of our country walks, big thatched house, automatic gates that sort of thing, they've got a couple of small paddocks with field shelters, first they had alpacas then Shetland ponies, when they got rid of those the paddocks were left abandoned, they are now badly overgrown with weeds up to your knees.

didn't think there was much meat on an alpaca, if you've ever seen one once its shorn its very skinny underneath.
more meat on a sheep.
i'm glad they got rid of them, they didn't look after them properly, their hoofs needed pairing, they were really bad, we nearly reported them to the RSPCA .

is that so? I prefer the real thing and that's easier to get around here.

The forest shelters us from the wind, but I am surprised the thunder didn't make me jump! It was without a doubt the biggest loudest crack I have ever heard. Sheet lightening I think, directly over the main house! Lots of rain so as soon as the storm started to move away & went outside & pumped water up to the top tank from the overflowing lower tank.
I hope there is more water in the Cottage tanks. The girls up in the cottage are townies, born & bred, & they have used more water in 6 months than we did in 20 years whilst living up there! I shall have to have words with them before they use up all our outside laundry water as well!!!
Keith.

Hope all is well Keith :thumbsup:

Cutting down trees is counterproductive,trees bring food and heat and shelter
They are also shade & they reduce our carbon footprint. Grass will often grow more lush & plentiful around trees too. Farmers running stock who know their stuff make corridors between trees rather than cutting them all down for more pasture. It is more productive.
Keith.

i see it happening every time someone from the city buys a country property, a lot don't even live in them fulltime just a few weeks in the summer, got one a couple of miles up the road from us just off one of our country walks, big thatched house, automatic gates that sort of thing, they've got a couple of small paddocks with field shelters, first they had alpacas then Shetland ponies, when they got rid of those the paddocks were left abandoned, they are now badly overgrown with weeds up to your knees.
That often happens when ground is cleared.
Keith.

Hope all is well Keith :thumbsup:
Had some good rain Mark, but as predicted by the climate scientists, after a dry spell we got flash floods! My wife & son got back home okay by taking the back road to Black Mountain. The rain must have been very local. More water in the tanks:)
Keith.

Back