• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Week in the Highlands - Feb 2018 (Pictures and write ups)

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Firstly I have to say that I’ve rejected a lot of the videos I recorded since the microphone I was using was constantly picking up the mobile phone carrier noise. Really disappointing. I’ve included some of the videos but removed the soundtrack.

Sunday 11th Feb
14:00 Arrived at Bridge of Orchy, had a wander around and chose a camp site. Headed back to the car to get both rucksacks.
Set up tarp and hammock. Turns out I fixed this too high as the snow came down and blew into the shelter so I had to redo it all lower down.
14:30 Ryan and co arrived and set up 2 huge 4x4 tarps
I set up my folding BBQ, boiled water for coffee and cooked 2 burgers for lunch.
16:00 Matt, Neil, John and Elliott arrived. Matt had had engine troubles again. Matt and Neil were both shattered after being up for over 24 hours
18:00 Made some soup for dinner. The snow was off at this point but came down with a vengeance later that night.

Monday 12th Feb
Chris_Zabriskie_-_04_-_NirvanaVEVO
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Chris_Zabriskie/

07:50 Up and dressed
Didn’t sleep very well as I forgot to use the insulated foam mat and the hammock underblanket kept slipping round. Took advice from Matt re. cinching the pull chords up.
Breakfast was lorne, eggs, tattie scones and coffee.
Put up secondary admin shelter with folding chair.
Noted that the wool socks were working well as feet were toasty.
Around lunch time Mark Wilson arrived for a quick visit for an hour or so.
Made lunch of chicken soup, oat cakes, cheese and coffee then worked on camp kitchen setup which I rebuilt.
Dinner was curry and rice.

Early to my hammock then text chatted to my wife and son to get an updated forecast due to the rising winds. Forecast said winds rising to 60mph over the next few hours. Got up and added more bungies to my tie outs. Double checked for dead standing, back to bed and managed to sleep despite the high winds.

Tuesday 13th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Slept well despite the winds and was cozy with the underblanket, hammock, roll mat, sleeping bag, liner, thermals, jumper and hat. The fly net also keeps in some of the heat.

Today we decide where we’re going tomorrow to camp.

Had a walk in the sunshine along the river (Orchy pronounced Orky) and up into the forest but unfortunately forgot to pack water or the filter.
Returned and had lunch then went to sit in the sun and do some woodwork (mallet video)

The group decided that Loch Arkaig would be too exposed, being on the north side of the loch, so we decided to rise and leave at 10:00 for Aviemore then Loch Morlich.

Made chilli and rice for dinner and turned in around 22:00

Wednesday 14th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Woke at 07:50 and John came at 08:00 to say that a few of the guys were already packed and ready to go.

Frantically scrambled to break camp but still took me almost 2 hours (which included making coffee – and a good job I did!) during a wind/hail/rain storm.

Left at 10:00 (as was the original plan), Fort William bound.

Got stopped on Rannoch Moor because of an accident and heavy snow and we (John and Elliott were with me) were there for 6 ½ hours!
Finally got to Fort William and had dinner in Morrisons cafe.

Destination decision was changed due to the delay so off we drove to Loch Arkaig while Ryan and co decided to B&B for the night.

Followed Matt to the shoreline where it was suggested we set up but John and I decided to move on further so that we could find a less exposed spot. I ferried their kit from Matt’s trailer to there.

We got set up; J&E with their low tarp and me in my tent.

21:30 J&E turned in while I watched the flashes of lightning across the loch while there was still clear, starry skies above. Strong gusts of wind alternated with very calm spells.

I found that my inner tent was very mouldy smelling so slept in the outer area.
No phone signal at all at this site.

Thursday 15th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
I made a hearty breakfast for us of Lorne sausages, link sausages, tattie scones, onions and eggs.
The day was spent hanging round the camp, watching Elliott prep wood while the rain poured on us constantly.
I took a drive back along the road for a few miles to get mobile reception and check in with my family.
John found a huge black scat which we later determined came from a wild boar which the ranger was planning to shoot.
In the evening we chatted around the fire until J&E got fed up of my rum induced ramblings and left me to it. lol

Friday 16th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Fortunately J&E got a nice dry morning to break camp and I ran them along to the trailer with their kit then said my goodbyes to everyone.
I returned for breakfast and took down my own camp then took a recce drive another 5 miles along the road before driving home.

All in all I had a great time and wasn’t as cold as I’d imagined I’d be.
Thanks to everyone for their efforts and I look forward to the next one.
A few pics (which will probably be included in the videos)

2018-02-13 10.17.43.jpg 2018-02-13 12.23.44.jpg 2018-02-13 12.54.45.jpg 2018-02-16 13.30.12.jpg 2018-02-16 13.30.22.jpg

and you too Mark. :)
I was up until 01:30 waiting on the 3rd upload completing and back up now at 08:40 to get some coffee down me before our granddaughter arrives for the day. So I may not get any more done until she's gone home later.
Each video covers 1 day and there's an additional few which will probably make it 9 videos in all.

Firstly I have to say that I’ve rejected a lot of the videos I recorded since the microphone I was using was constantly picking up the mobile phone carrier noise. Really disappointing. I’ve included some of the videos but removed the soundtrack.

Sunday 11th Feb
14:00 Arrived at Bridge of Orchy, had a wander around and chose a camp site. Headed back to the car to get both rucksacks.
Set up tarp and hammock. Turns out I fixed this too high as the snow came down and blew into the shelter so I had to redo it all lower down.
14:30 Ryan and co arrived and set up 2 huge 4x4 tarps
I set up my folding BBQ, boiled water for coffee and cooked 2 burgers for lunch.
16:00 Matt, Neil, John and Elliott arrived. Matt had had engine troubles again. Matt and Neil were both shattered after being up for over 24 hours
18:00 Made some soup for dinner. The snow was off at this point but came down with a vengeance later that night.

Monday 12th Feb
Chris_Zabriskie_-_04_-_NirvanaVEVO
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Chris_Zabriskie/

07:50 Up and dressed
Didn’t sleep very well as I forgot to use the insulated foam mat and the hammock underblanket kept slipping round. Took advice from Matt re. cinching the pull chords up.
Breakfast was lorne, eggs, tattie scones and coffee.
Put up secondary admin shelter with folding chair.
Noted that the wool socks were working well as feet were toasty.
Around lunch time Mark Wilson arrived for a quick visit for an hour or so.
Made lunch of chicken soup, oat cakes, cheese and coffee then worked on camp kitchen setup which I rebuilt.
Dinner was curry and rice.

Early to my hammock then text chatted to my wife and son to get an updated forecast due to the rising winds. Forecast said winds rising to 60mph over the next few hours. Got up and added more bungies to my tie outs. Double checked for dead standing, back to bed and managed to sleep despite the high winds.

Tuesday 13th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Slept well despite the winds and was cozy with the underblanket, hammock, roll mat, sleeping bag, liner, thermals, jumper and hat. The fly net also keeps in some of the heat.

Today we decide where we’re going tomorrow to camp.

Had a walk in the sunshine along the river (Orchy pronounced Orky) and up into the forest but unfortunately forgot to pack water or the filter.
Returned and had lunch then went to sit in the sun and do some woodwork (mallet video)

The group decided that Loch Arkaig would be too exposed, being on the north side of the loch, so we decided to rise and leave at 10:00 for Aviemore then Loch Morlich.

Made chilli and rice for dinner and turned in around 22:00

Wednesday 14th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Woke at 07:50 and John came at 08:00 to say that a few of the guys were already packed and ready to go.

Frantically scrambled to break camp but still took me almost 2 hours (which included making coffee – and a good job I did!) during a wind/hail/rain storm.

Left at 10:00 (as was the original plan), Fort William bound.

Got stopped on Rannoch Moor because of an accident and heavy snow and we (John and Elliott were with me) were there for 6 ½ hours!
Finally got to Fort William and had dinner in Morrisons cafe.

Destination decision was changed due to the delay so off we drove to Loch Arkaig while Ryan and co decided to B&B for the night.

Followed Matt to the shoreline where it was suggested we set up but John and I decided to move on further so that we could find a less exposed spot. I ferried their kit from Matt’s trailer to there.

We got set up; J&E with their low tarp and me in my tent.

21:30 J&E turned in while I watched the flashes of lightning across the loch while there was still clear, starry skies above. Strong gusts of wind alternated with very calm spells.

I found that my inner tent was very mouldy smelling so slept in the outer area.
No phone signal at all at this site.

Thursday 15th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
I made a hearty breakfast for us of Lorne sausages, link sausages, tattie scones, onions and eggs.
The day was spent hanging round the camp, watching Elliott prep wood while the rain poured on us constantly.
I took a drive back along the road for a few miles to get mobile reception and check in with my family.
John found a huge black scat which we later determined came from a wild boar which the ranger was planning to shoot.
In the evening we chatted around the fire until J&E got fed up of my rum induced ramblings and left me to it. lol

Friday 16th Feb
[Video Link TBA]
Fortunately J&E got a nice dry morning to break camp and I ran them along to the trailer with their kit then said my goodbyes to everyone.
I returned for breakfast and took down my own camp then took a recce drive another 5 miles along the road before driving home.

All in all I had a great time and wasn’t as cold as I’d imagined I’d be.
Thanks to everyone for their efforts and I look forward to the next one.
A few pics (which will probably be included in the videos)

View attachment 12507View attachment 12508View attachment 12509View attachment 12510View attachment 12511
A great write write up Paul, glad it all went so well. Seems that you were chief cook and bottle washer:thumbsup:

Just cooking for myself Joe, and @Hagrid and Hatchet one morning.
I'd say the only negative about the week was that, because of the weather and the locations, there wasn't a central communal gathering area for everyone to meet around like the summer meet. This would have been difficult to achieve given that we were all sheltering from the wind, snow, rain in our own separate camps.
I did have a great few days away and actually could have easily stayed a few more nights. The ranger at Arkaig was going to be out shooting boar though so I thought it best to leave as planned.

Just cooking for myself Joe, and @Hagrid and Hatchet one morning.
I'd say the only negative about the week was that, because of the weather and the locations, there wasn't a central communal gathering area for everyone to meet around like the summer meet. This would have been difficult to achieve given that we were all sheltering from the wind, snow, rain in our own separate camps.
I did have a great few days away and actually could have easily stayed a few more nights. The ranger at Arkaig was going to be out shooting boar though so I thought it best to leave as planned.
I'm glad you broke it down into daily events, unlike the summer meet where we all forgot what occurred on any given day. At this years camp I'm going to take a notebook and record things on a daily basis

View attachment 12562

I have done a bit of research into where the Commandos trained during WWII & I was stunned when I found this map. I can't believe how close we were as we camped for two nights in the top left corner on the map. I am going to have to go back now to explore the area some more ! :D
I was lucky enough to spend a week at Roybridge Neil, turn right by Spean Bridge and the village was about 2 miles down that road

Back