• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Week in the Highlands - Feb 2018 (Pictures and write ups)

Ok, ok. I'm not sure what more I can add really to the minute by minute write ups from others on the trip, and apologies it is late but with another holiday in Centre Parcs and work and family issues I just have not found the time.

This year the trip was equally as enjoyable as the year before and only slightly improved due the Hatchet (Elliott) being added as a late addition.

First off, I must mention a massive thank you to Matt. As the trip loomed nearer and nearer, I tried in vain to prepare my vehicle for the long journey but soon ran out of money and time. Realising that I was not going to be able to make this year, I phoned Matt to pass on the bad news. Within a little amount of time Matt had contacted me back with a solution of him towing a trailer with my kit in and allowing Hatchet and I to join them on the journey North.

As with prior meeting arrangements, Matt arranged a meeting point in Taunton of 3am. Nearing the destination at 2am, Matt calls wondering where I am......

The drive up went well. Hatchet and I slept in the back of a comfy car until we had passed Birmingham, only being rudely awaken every time we stopped at the services:) Tru, we did have engine issues (probably due to towing my food stores behind us) but Matt and crew took it in stride and understood that the journey was as lovely as the destination.

At The Bridge of Orchy it was getting late and everyone set about ferrying kit the short distance and setting up camp. Hatchet and I had bought along two Dutch Army temts but decided to just ground dwell under a 4x4 tarp.

Our stay at Orchy was magical with plenty of snow and amazing views. Hachet loved every minute of it and, as can be attested by others, set about processing wood at every opportunity.

It was nice catching up with everyone and sharing in the adventure, except once when a local (by that I mean a Scot) strolling into camp expecting everyone to understand what he was after. Most just laughed and pretended they understood his diluted English text and I was easily appeased as he happened to bring with him traditional Scottish snacks. Once the snacks were eaten I think he realised that his stay was beginning to get awkward so he bid farewell.

As has been said, the trip over the highlands was an adventure. I had never been in a snow blizzard and quickly appreciated how dangerous it would be without the correct supplies. Hatchet and I bummed a lift with Gizmo and over the many hours preceded to bore him with our tales of adventure and forced him to share Scottish phrases with us.

After Hachet and I had a small lunch at Morrison's we all went to Loch Arkaig for our final stay (except those who preferred B&Bs). It was late by the time we arrived and we were very tired. Once we had scouted out a decent location which was sheltered from the elements (did not want to go through the same as last year) we set about putting up our camp. Again, Hatchet and I opted again for a low ground dwelling tarp. Gizmo helped us ferry kit and once set up we set about getting a fire started. the weather was good but with continual rain. I was still in survival mode ensuring Hatchet stay dry while Gizmo was continually in holiday mode and by mid morning had set up a sheltered fire location with hanging fire stands. A real pleasure seeing how methodical and organised he was:)

While at Arkaig, we saw deer and a little wild boar trot past our camp

After leaving Arkaig, Gizmo stayed on a while whilst the rest of us finally got to visit our cafe in Fort William.

Running out of time so.....

Monument was lovely with beautiful views. Really appreciate the tough terrain they must have trained on.

B&B was glad addition and nice to hav e a warm shower (sorry Neil)

Dinner in the evening was amazing where we were all able to sit in comfort and share our stories.... bring on the summer meet!

The trip home was smooth with periodical stops along the way but the faithful Landy got us there in the end.

Big thank you to all for an amazing trip.

Nice write-up mate.....pleased you and Hatchet had a good time.....lasting memories for you both :thumbsup:
I now realize why Matt had the trailer.....your food:D

Nice write up matey. Thanks for the company also. I'd have struggled without Hatchet prepping all that fire wood too! :)

Looking forward to the summer meet now.

Great write up.....at last.......say hi to hatchet and the family for me and hope to see you at the summer meet.

Back