• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Well..ok then.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
A few weeks ago while sculling around on the Internet looking for a Bilge Pump for my boat I found an advertisement for a Leatherman Wave, the original version, the one with the non replaceable wire cutting edges on the pliers. The later version Leatherman Wave Plus, as I'm sure all Leatherman fans know have hardened steel replaceable cutting edges fitted to the pliers. Being a tightwad and knowing it unlikely I would never need to replace the cutters anyway, I sent off for the now discontinued Wave Mk 1...£74.99 and the Bilge Pump.

Today a parcel arrived containing a Leatherman Wave Plus...and a note saying the Wave Mk 1 was advertised by mistake and was no longer available so would I accept the Plus version at £ 74.99 instead of the list price of £134.95p

Ah! well, ok then, I'll do them a favour, only because I'm soft hearted though...:lol: :lol:

DSCF6720.JPG

DSCF6721.JPG

DSCF6722.JPG

A few weeks ago while sculling around on the Internet looking for a Bilge Pump for my boat I found an advertisement for a Leatherman Wave, the original version, the one with the non replaceable wire cutting edges on the pliers. The later version Leatherman Wave Plus, as I'm sure all Leatherman fans know have hardened steel replaceable cutting edges fitted to the pliers. Being a tightwad and knowing it unlikely I would never need to replace the cutters anyway, I sent off for the now discontinued Wave Mk 1...£74.99 and the Bilge Pump.

Today a parcel arrived containing a Leatherman Wave Plus...and a note saying the Wave Mk 1 was advertised by mistake and was no longer available so would I accept the Plus version at £ 74.99 instead of the list price of £134.95p

Ah! well, ok then, I'll do them a favour, only because I'm soft hearted though...:lol: :lol:

View attachment 40287

View attachment 40286

View attachment 40288
Result 🤪

I’ve got the wave (as well as a Ferber, SOG and SOG mini tool!); had it about twenty years and not noticed anything wearing out just yet.

I've carried a Leatherman 'Super Tool 300 ' for a very long time and used the wire cutter function on all sorts of electrical wiring and also Seizing Wire when securing Shackles on Ship's Rigging. It seems that people like US Farmers and Steel Erectors who were known to try cutting heavy gauge fencing wire, and tie wire on construction sites resulting in blunted cutting edges may have prompted the update. A case of using a tool for tasks for which it was never intended.
A typical US reaction by Leatherman I think, just in case of Law Suits claiming...My wire cutters are blunt!!! So beef up the cutters...stamp that gun barrel ' Danger when loaded ' and recently stick 5 labels on my sleeping bag telling me they are not responsible if I freeze to death because I've used a -7 C bag in the Arctic at -35 C.

The wire cutters are perfectly fine if used sensibly, it's only when modern US paranoia stepped in that things needed changing. :rofl:

My Wave was a replacement for my original leatherman supertool that was stolen in Kenya (ironically whilst I was distracted giving other stuff away to locals). The super tool was the winner of a leatherman vs gerber tyre slash off in North Belfast!

:D I like the Super Tool a lot, it's just the one handed blade opening on the Wave that tempted me..

No complaints with either, the super tool at the time had better blade locking but with the introduction of the wave that became a moot point. For me as an infantryman the wave was lighter and it’s all adds up.

Back