• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

West bay van camp.

Refreshment time 😉

20220917_123439.jpg

How did the fishing go billy’o🤔

@Ark79

Hi Mark :)

Our friends arrived at about 10.30am......my mate and I decided to forgo breakfast with the girls and get stuck into the fishing straightaway from the harbour walls.
So off we went fishing rods in hand.
There were a lot of people already fishing....... spaced out along the pier.....we were lucky to get a spot at the end of the wall by the harbour entrance.
Looking around whilst tackling up we saw a few Mackerel and Gar fish being taken on floats......all of it very small stuff.
Rigged and ready.....we started to cast our lures.
We had been fishing for about half an hour when a chap approached us and said......you do realise there is no lure casting allowed from the walls.......float fishing only please.....he pointed at 3 very small signs that we did not honestly see.......ooooops .........turned out he was the Harbour Master :rolleyes:
Neither of us had any float gear with us at the the time and the tackle shop was a fair walk away......so we decided to have a look at fishing from the rocks on the seaward side of the wall where casting lures is permitted.
We bother pondered on the best way down over the rocks whilst peering down 🤔
I was in two minds.....bit unsteady on my legs of late and not very nimble :rofl:.....my buddy not long had a knee pop and even less keen to chance it.
We found a spot that looked O.K. with large boulders with some flat edges to shuffle the bum over.
So I went down alone and found a nice large rock to stand and fish from.
Looked perfect with a very slight chop on the surface of the water.......after about half an hour it became too uncomfortable to continue.....I knew if I pushed it.....I would have real trouble getting back up again :rolleyes:

So no fish caught......got back safely......and we sat for a good hour together chatting and watching the other fisherman bringing in the odd Mackerel and Gar.
The girls came and found us armed with a bag of large Pasties which went down very nicely while sat on a bench.

We did not get many pictures.....far too intent on trying to make a bad situation better :D

The one picture my mate did take.:thumbsup:

IMG-20220918-WA0000 (2).jpg

We had a cracking time at our West Bay van camp.....such a lovely place......and only an hour and a bit from home........so easy to do.
All facilities were O.K. some needing minor repairs and updating.....but very clean and tidy.......we had some lovely neighbours next to us very friendly.
We decided to come back a day early......it did not sit well with us being away for the late Queens funeral......so we came home. :(

A few pictures of a lovely venue :thumbsup:

20220918_193442.jpg
20220918_193206.jpg

20220918_154955.jpg

Attachments

• 20220918_192753.jpg
    20220918_192753.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 39
We had a cracking time at our West Bay van camp.....such a lovely place......and only an hour and a bit from home........so easy to do.
All facilities were O.K. some needing minor repairs and updating.....but very clean and tidy.......we had some lovely neighbours next to us very friendly.
We decided to come back a day early......it did not sit well with us being away for the late Queens funeral......so we came home. :(

A few pictures of a lovely venue :thumbsup:

View attachment 115927View attachment 115928
View attachment 115931
You were very lucky with the weather Bill. Next time make sure that you have some float tackle in your box. There's always the chance of a Bass up near the river mouth so float fished sand ell would be the way to go

Indeed we were lucky Joe.....a bit chilly outside in the mornings having a coffee...... with heavy dew around.....but then it is nearly October.
You are absolutely right should have had some float gear with the kit......we will take some next time now we know the score with casting lures......should have known better really :D :thumbsup: ........never had much joy with "sandells" to be honest......the straps make them a bugger to cast:sneaky:🤭😜

Indeed we were lucky Joe.....a bit chilly outside in the mornings having a coffee...... with heavy dew around.....but then it is nearly October.
You are absolutely right should have had some float gear with the kit......we will take some next time now we know the score with casting lures......should have known better really :D :thumbsup: ........never had much joy with "sandells" to be honest......the straps make them a bugger to cast:sneaky:🤭😜
You know full well what I meant so the second word is off :p

Back