• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wet newspaper test

Baytree

Quite Addicted
The recent axe thread i commented on concerning sharpness got me thinking. As a joiner i tend to aim for sharp tools but the definition of sharp probably means different things to different people or for that matter from tool to tool. For instance my mattock is blunt in comparison to my axes though both are used on wood . Recently a friend came round , picked up a chisel and said he wished his were that sharp to which i replied that it was one of the blunter ones. I commented on the axe thread that myself and others had gotten axes razor sharp which was really too sharp but saying that my axes are kept sharper than some because of the way they are used. It's not always a chopping swinging action , they're used for parring too , more like a thrust axe.
What's all that got to do with wet newspaper? That test was one shown to me many years ago as a test for sharpness. The usual test is the one we were to!d that we shouldn't really do and test it with the thumb , just as we were told that we shouldn't strope a blade on our hands though pretty much every chippy does that. Another is to hold the blade up to the light and look for a "line" or rather absence of a line indicating bluntness . That's one that is probably difficult to grasp if you don't know it , i've tried teaching it to my friend but he doesn't really get it. The newspaper test was one to show if a blade is really sharp. A soaking wet piece of paper is put on a board and the blade is used to cut it and it takes a really sharp blade to cut it rather than tear it. I remember trying out a "sharp" chisel or plane blade only to see the paper tear but it is satisfying when the blade cuts. Over the years i've shown this test to others and there has been the common response that many had not heard or seen of it. Anyone on here know this test?

The recent axe thread i commented on concerning sharpness got me thinking. As a joiner i tend to aim for sharp tools but the definition of sharp probably means different things to different people or for that matter from tool to tool. For instance my mattock is blunt in comparison to my axes though both are used on wood . Recently a friend came round , picked up a chisel and said he wished his were that sharp to which i replied that it was one of the blunter ones. I commented on the axe thread that myself and others had gotten axes razor sharp which was really too sharp but saying that my axes are kept sharper than some because of the way they are used. It's not always a chopping swinging action , they're used for parring too , more like a thrust axe.
What's all that got to do with wet newspaper? That test was one shown to me many years ago as a test for sharpness. The usual test is the one we were to!d that we shouldn't really do and test it with the thumb , just as we were told that we shouldn't strope a blade on our hands though pretty much every chippy does that. Another is to hold the blade up to the light and look for a "line" or rather absence of a line indicating bluntness . That's one that is probably difficult to grasp if you don't know it , i've tried teaching it to my friend but he doesn't really get it. The newspaper test was one to show if a blade is really sharp. A soaking wet piece of paper is put on a board and the blade is used to cut it and it takes a really sharp blade to cut it rather than tear it. I remember trying out a "sharp" chisel or plane blade only to see the paper tear but it is satisfying when the blade cuts. Over the years i've shown this test to others and there has been the common response that many had not heard or seen of it. Anyone on here know this test?
Never heard of it but will definitely be giving it a go

New one to me also, so iv got it right lol. Take the sheet of newspaper, wet it, place it down and try and strike a line through it ?

Well Baytree, I do a lot of picture framing and cutting wet gumstrip on the back of a picture frame neatly needs a razor sharp blade, I know exactly what you mean.

Back