• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What Did You Get?

Keith

Very Addicted
Christmas_Greetings.jpg

Okay lasses & chaps, tell us what you got for Xmas.

Not sure what day it is where you are, but here it is Xmas Day. This is what I got:)
Xmas_2017_006.jpg

Plus a slab of Guinness Stout. I forgot to take a picture of the Guinness Stout, but I thought that you would all know what it looks like anyway;)
Merry Xmas everyone. I wish you could send me some of your snow!
Keith.

I got a pair of new slippers, a home made ginger cake from the SIL- the ONLY thing she is any use for! and a M&S shepherds pie from the step daughter which we had for tea yesterday.
I bought the wife an Opinel knife and pouch- had to tell her to be careful because that thing is sharp and I do mean SHARP, and I paid for a cardigan she wanted.

Pair of boots,4mX4m DD tarp. 10 and 12cm zebra cooking pots and a titanium mug and a titanium large spork also aftershave

Lucky chap this year (must have done something right lol)

Last edited:
Father Christmas did not come to me, and nor did I wish him to. I detest the rampant consumerfest the Xmas brings on and have asked not to receive presents for many a year now.

I Jesus Christ existed, and I think there is sufficient documentary suggestion to be able to say that a person (a prophet perhaps, but unlikely to have actually been the son of god) he would, if the writings about him bear any truth whatsoever, be appalled by the way we celebrate Xmas.

Here was a chap who was a tradesman (a carpenter), who gave it up to become a wandering itinerant (homeless in today's parlance) and spread his own (or maybe god's view of how things should be). The Gospels are very clear on him banishing the money lenders from the temples, and yet, credit card spending soars out of all proportion in December each year.

He allegedly relied on the charity and hospitality of others, and yet, in 2017 we have the highest levels of homelessness for over a decade.

He preached peace, and yet, in 2017 there are wars raging throughout the middle east, and the US and NK squaring up to each other behind their nukes.

I reckon if he was the son of god he would "was his hands" of us totally.

am censing a little “ba humbug” from you brown bear :rofl:

Sure you do Mark - but take look at xmas and tell me I'm wrong m8 ;)

If I believed in god above I would still hold the same views about xmas consumption, greed and credit though m8

Well, we had a very pleasant long weekend with our sons and my mother staying with us. We had good food, (including home cured gammon from home grown pigs) but not too much so there's not lots of leftovers, and presents, but not too many. OH gave me a multi tool so l don't keep borrowing his (first thing l did was borrow his so l could get mine out of the packaging) and thermal socks which kept my feet toasty warm today when l was out walking the dog. The only odd thing we got was some liqueur chocolates from my mother. Does anyone in the world like them? You won't find any of our things on ebay or at boot sales soon. l would rather have useful things than decorative ones (or even alcoholic ones like the year my mother-in-law, now sadly deceased, gave me a bottle of Baileys when l really wanted some gardening gloves) and try to give in the same way.

Father Christmas did not come to me, and nor did I wish him to. I detest the rampant consumerfest the Xmas brings on and have asked not to receive presents for many a year now.

I Jesus Christ existed, and I think there is sufficient documentary suggestion to be able to say that a person (a prophet perhaps, but unlikely to have actually been the son of god) he would, if the writings about him bear any truth whatsoever, be appalled by the way we celebrate Xmas.

Here was a chap who was a tradesman (a carpenter), who gave it up to become a wandering itinerant (homeless in today's parlance) and spread his own (or maybe god's view of how things should be). The Gospels are very clear on him banishing the money lenders from the temples, and yet, credit card spending soars out of all proportion in December each year.

He allegedly relied on the charity and hospitality of others, and yet, in 2017 we have the highest levels of homelessness for over a decade.

He preached peace, and yet, in 2017 there are wars raging throughout the middle east, and the US and NK squaring up to each other behind their nukes.

I reckon if he was the son of god he would "was his hands" of us totally.
winter_solstice_blog_REDUCED.jpg

I/we do not believe in god, therefore we do not celebrate xmas as the birth of Jesus. There may have been a carpenter called Jesus, this was & is a popular name. He would have been Arab with Arab features including black hair.

What is now known as "christmas" actually pre-dates the birth of this Jesus & has nothing to do with Christianity. Call it Yule, or Winter Solstice or any number of names by which this celebration was known, it was a pagan celebration.

For a while in our house we had a rule, only gifts made by our own hands. But this was problematic, because not everyone had the skills or the time to produce a gift for each family member. So eventually we gave in to the idea of purchasing gifts. These are usually practical gifts or grog. We usually write out "wants lists" & stick them somewhere where everyone can see them. Nothing expensive. This year I did not write a list because I could not think of anything that I needed, & anything I wanted was too expensive! As it was one son bought me an Opinel pocket knife anyway, & I am very pleased to have it. I was going to purchase it for myself. My other sons have not been able to visit yet so we expect to see them in the new year.
It is summer here now, & therefore impossible to celebrate Winter Solstice, so we celebrate Summer Solstice & will all come together for Winter Solstice celebrations in the New Year. May I suggest Bear that you celebrate Winter Solstice, that way you won't miss out on a celebration & you can bye-pass all the rampant consumerfest;)
Regards, Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you do Mark - but take look at xmas and tell me I'm wrong m8 ;)

If I believed in god above I would still hold the same views about xmas consumption, greed and credit though m8

Your Not wrong on the consumption bear and some folk go to far and waist a lot so a would agree with you on that one bud. but in my case wrong on the bay humbug mate I had a good Xmas (this year lol )

Lovely bottle of red:D then one more :rofl: and as much turkey as I could eat.

All I see Xmas for is spending time with the family giving gifts and receiving gifts. Do you not get gifts B.B.?

Each to there own mate:thumbsup:

winter_solstice_blog_REDUCED.jpg

May I suggest Bear that you celebrate Winter Solstice, that way you won't miss out on a celebration & you can bye-pass all the rampant consumerfest;)
Regards, Keith.

We sort of do Keith, the changing of the seasons and the "old" ways of celebration resonate far more with me :)

The only odd thing we got was some liqueur chocolates from my mother. Does anyone in the world like them?.
Oh yes! As long as vodka or gin isn’t included! :D

As for my presents they included 3 history books, fleece & a hoodie all from the Wife. The parents got me socks (I go through them like wildfire) & 2 Royal British Legion poppy badges; these aren’t your normal one...oh no! These are made from shell fuses taken from the Ypres Salient & the Somme battlefields & mixed with a little dirt from said areas & then cast into poppy badges.
I lost 2 Gt. Uncles on both battlefields, as well having a dozen other family members, including Gt. Uncles, Gt. Grandfathers, Grandfather etc, serving out there so the regions hold special interest for me.

Back