• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What do you do in the dark?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
OK, other than watching the fire, cooking or reading a book, what do folks do in the middle of winter when it gets dark at 4pm and sunrise isn't until 8:30am? (hoping for clean answers only lol)

I recently did an overnight and it was pitch dark by 4:30pm. I tended the fire for a while and read and ended up going to bed around 9pm and listened to the sounds of nature and later some music for a while.

Just wondering

OK, other than watching the fire, cooking or reading a book, what do folks do in the middle of winter when it gets dark at 4pm and sunrise isn't until 8:30am? (hoping for clean answers only lol)

I recently did an overnight and it was pitch dark by 4:30pm. I tended the fire for a while and read and ended up going to bed around 9pm and listened to the sounds of nature and later some music for a while.

Just wondering

I might write in my journal, but other than that I simply lie down & listen, watch the forest before me & watch the fire until I fall asleep.
Keith.

I do pretty much the same as the rest of you with one exception in that I write poetry either on a notepad or directly into my phone

Av never done a solo night before. It’s always been with people so we sit and chat. But a would imagine a would chill and ponder over stuff.

Av never done a solo night before. It’s always been with people so we sit and chat. But a would imagine a would chill and ponder over stuff.
Once you get used to not jumping every time things go bump in the night Mark it becomes fun and eventually you'll be relaxed enough in the enviroment to even get a good relaxed sleep

Once you get used to not jumping every time things go bump in the night Mark it becomes fun and eventually you'll be relaxed enough in the enviroment to even get a good relaxed sleep

It’s not the things that go bump in the night it’s falling out my hammock am worried about :rofl:

I recommend that you pay attention to those noises in the night. From personal experience it is not always just the local fauna!
Keith.

I recommend that you pay attention to those noises in the night. From personal experience it is not always just the local fauna!
Keith.
Very true Keith, a wise man does a recce in daylight and an even wiser one chooses a location well off the beaten track

Keith.

You are quite right Keith........we have some savage rabbits here in the U.K. :thumbsup::D

th?id=OIP.shMqcL-37tSL0FaqWXsvCADwEs&pid=15.jpg

Keith.

I’m intrigued now (genuinely) am rather interested in the unknown Kieth. I won’t ask what you saw as I don’t want to stray this thread any more than what I have lol

Back