• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What do you do in the dark?

I'd rather fight a human than a tiger.....

Maybe so, but then some tigers have been known to display amazing intelligence. But if you have a gun, & you keep your wits about you you can win a fight with a tiger. With humans they too can have a gun. There are no wild Tigers as far as I know roaming free in Australia or the UK, so for these two countries the Human probably is the most dangerous animal to be a threat to us.
Keith.

Interesting thread being watched by a guest so I'm bumping it.
With regard to the original post, if I have nothing that that desperately needs doing while it's dark then I am quite happy to rest, lay up trying to stay warm and dry.
Running a smallholding often means that I'm starting and finishing my day in light of dusk when it's far easier to get things done. You learn to take your breaks when you can and over the last few years I have been taking a siesta over mid day to avoid getting exhausted by the heat during summer.

On a quiet night I like to listen to the radio.......on a wild night........... lots of wind and rain hammering on the shelter there is nothing better being wrapped up and listening to natures tantrums outside.
Always have a pee bottle to hand and a flask made should I need a drink during the night/early hours......never have to leave the warmth and security of the shelter then.
Head torch in my boots by the door/entrance in case of emergencies........all food and non essential kit stowed away tidily and secure ready for the following morning.

On a quiet night I like to listen to the radio.......on a wild night........... lots of wind and rain hammering on the shelter there is nothing better being wrapped up and listening to natures tantrums outside.
Always have a pee bottle to hand and a flask made should I need a drink during the night/early hours......never have to leave the warmth and security of the shelter then.
Head torch in my boots by the door/entrance in case of emergencies........all food and non essential kit stowed away tidily and secure ready for the following morning.
I'm right with you Bill, snugged up tight and warm while listening to natures symphony

I don't take a radio or any other form of kit that provides entertainment. My phone is only capable of calls or messages, so no late night movies for me. I like to listen to the sounds of the woods, I'm always surprised even on a still night how the night noises start as the daylight fades. When a breeze blew through the wood in Sussex an 'Orchestra' would start up.

The first time I heard it I was completely baffled, until a daylight search revealed the cause of the Music.
DSCF4329.JPG

When the wind moved through the wood, the dead limb on this Hornbeam would scrape against it's neighbour with a deep groaning sound remarkably like a Double Bass, and if the wind strengthened causing more movement, the Ash Tree on the right swayed and joined in like a Cello when the same branch rubbed against it.

On a wild night there would be the occasional crash and rumble as background percussion, and I would wake up in the morning and see the results of a windy night and woodland music.:)
DSCF4303.JPG

DSCF4270.JPG

Being a bit of a gadget geek, with a MP3 player and some bluetooth earplugs with the help of some micro sd cards you could have almost unlimited audio books or whatever you wanted all cheap as chips if you spend around £60 you could have 200 odd hours fill up a few micro cards and that could soon turn into many thousands of hours.

I did listen to the book about about Donald trump that was written by his niece.

interesting to say the least

Being a bit of a gadget geek, with a MP3 player and some bluetooth earplugs with the help of some micro sd cards you could have almost unlimited audio books or whatever you wanted all cheap as chips if you spend around £60 you could have 200 odd hours fill up a few micro cards and that could soon turn into many thousands of hours.

I did listen to the book about about Donald trump that was written by his niece.

interesting to say the least
Right now in the dark I spend a lot of time pissing into cardboard bottles and handing them to a passing nurse

Back