• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What Do You Remember About The Old Cars?

Keith

Very Addicted
My first car had a dicky seat & steps on the rear wing to climb into the dicky seat.
My Father's car had a big trunk on the back instead of the later boot.
The spare wheels were let into the front wing.
No heaters.
Windscreen wiper motors at the top of the windscreen.
Kerosene heater lanterns under the bonnet at night in winter to stop the engine freezing.
Left & right hand engine covers/bonnet.
Engine temperature gauge on top of the radiator.
Large wheels & narrow tyres.
Cardboard placed over the radiator to keep the engine warm in winter.
Newspapers on the windscreen on winter nights to stop the windscreen icing up.
Flat glass windscreens, some had a split windscreen.
Engines were easy to work on & repair.
Real leather seats & cloth roof lining.
Ashtrays in the back seat.
Inside back window sills.
Front doors opened in the opposite direction to modern cars.
Direction indicators were arms that popped out from the central door post (those that had any indicators. Many including mine depended on arm signals from the driver).
Large separate headlamps.
Bumpers of steel that did not easily get damaged!
Starting handles.
Running boards.

Have I missed anything?
Keith.
Car_REDUCED.jpg

My Father's car looked very much like this one only in black, but it don't think it was a Bentley. We were not that wealthy!

Last edited by a moderator:
my first car was a Ford Anglia I bought for £35 off a BT engineer, standard body but it had a 1200 engine in it, I could get from Plymouth to Exeter over the moors- no Devon Expressway those days- in 55 minutes.
got water inside the drivers door so I took a hole punch and punched two holes in the bottom to let the water out!! nice car had it for a few years then got a Cortina 1500cc mark 1 I think. that took 1 hour to go over the moors.
you had to use your gears in these old cars, try to go up a steep hill in top and you lost your revs, and brake and clutch control was an art form back then.

Am a little younger lol. My first car was an Astra sport 1.8 1991 model. Fantastic car

I've had a lot of old cars over the years they blend into a harmogenised memory of the smell of damp upholstery and burning oil. My last vehicle was a Toyota hilux, a complete pleasure to drive but currently I'm driving a mobile kennel, grey in every way.:(

my first car was a Ford Anglia I bought for £35 off a BT engineer, standard body but it had a 1200 engine in it, I could get from Plymouth to Exeter over the moors- no Devon Expressway those days- in 55 minutes.
got water inside the drivers door so I took a hole punch and punched two holes in the bottom to let the water out!! nice car had it for a few years then got a Cortina 1500cc mark 1 I think. that took 1 hour to go over the moors.
you had to use your gears in these old cars, try to go up a steep hill in top and you lost your revs, and brake and clutch control was an art form back then.
My second car was a Rover 90 in black. Beautiful car.

Back