• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

what do you think of these

Shop around and you could get it cheaper.

Probably a Chinese copy, but you might want to look at this:
US/BRITISH ARMY CAMO PATROL CANTEEN GI WATER BOTTLE+POUCH+ALUMINIUM ALI MUG/CUP
Cheapo Copy.JPG
£6.94 + £2.99 P&P

Attachments

• Cheapo Copy.JPG
    Cheapo Copy.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 203
Colin's right mate, look around............

I use this

US Field Cook Set - Incl Water Bottle Stainless Steel Mug Pouch Cook Stand Choice of Cup Cover

Whilst basic cost is more, it would still work out cheaper than getting two of the kit you list and you wont have to mess about modifying one o the cups..........

I'm not keen on drinking out of aluminum anymore, I have seen some good medical studys linking aluminum to alzhimers........... still unproven, but evidence is building. Plus steel will last longer IMHO.

Richard

Sorry, just seen you can get mug alone..............hmmmm.....not sure...keep looking......I hate ali..................lol

Last edited:
Why dont you just use an army hexi stove as a cooker/stand, works great on the mugs, I just start off burning one block of hexi and top up with twigs and small bits of wood..........real cheap too....... heck I think I have a spare you can have to save buying another mug to modify....

Richard

Colin and Richard are spot on mate, I paid a couple of ££ for a heavy duty stainless mug in an army surplus shop, buy right buy once:)

Why dont you just use an army hexi stove as a cooker/stand, works great on the mugs, I just start off burning one block of hexi and top up with twigs and small bits of wood..........real cheap too....... heck I think I have a spare you can have to save buying another mug to modify....

Richard

Hi richard thank you for the offer of the hexi stove , luckily i have one already but thanks any way:)
i was thinking of the one i show above as it seems to have stronger handles than the normal ones and they are stainless steel ones
and like you noticed i only need to buy one set and just a spare mug i have seen a guy on youtube that has done what i am thinking of doing and it looks to be a very strong stove as its made of stainless only

instead of using a dremmel i would just drill a series of holes ? i am still looking at other types but thought i would ask you guys first and thanks again for the offer
regards
lyndon

Hi rob do you remember where that shop was? there are no army surplus shops near to me although i did travel to one to buy cammo gear and they did not stock them.

Been told they are good and worth the money they all nestle together nicely too!
Thanks Reuben

Just one thing though, the cooke with ethanol gel thats in it, i dont like the ethanol because it just doesn't seem to burn for me. I use the fire or hexi cups :)

The crusader cook kit is a personal favorite of mine. Very strong and very well made and as you say fits together very well.

The USGI cookset is also very good but the metal mug is very thin which was always a worry for me although I never had a problem with it.

The dutch army cook kit which is what I believe is in your link above is very well made but the bottle and mug are a little smaller than the crusader and different shape which did not suit me as well.

I have posted about both the crusader and usgi cooksets on my blog in the link below.. just let me know if you cannot find the posts and ill put up links to both :)

Back