• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

WHAT DO YOU USE

Ark79

Site Manager
Interested to see how many members fish and what techniques and gear yous use

I like carp and trout fishing. Use to be an all rounder when it came to fishing but sadly I was made to pick :D

Carp fishing I use a shimano quiver tip (glass tips) and a shimano baitrunner. Works a treat. Tried all different types of rigs....running rigs...pato rigs. Helicopter rigs. Every thing but dynamite :rofl: What works the best for me is a method feeder and hide the hook in the mix. Doesn’t work all the time. However it’s simple and affective :thumbsup:

Trout. I Also stay simple. Barrel feeder running loose on the main line attached to a swivel with a foot of hook length attached. And that’s it :thumbsup:

On occasion I dabble a little in fly fishing. Only when I have ernd a few brownie points ;)

Interested to see how many members fish and what techniques and gear yous use

I like carp and trout fishing. Use to be an all rounder when it came to fishing but sadly I was made to pick :D

Carp fishing I use a shimano quiver tip (glass tips) and a shimano baitrunner. Works a treat. Tried all different types of rigs....running rigs...pato rigs. Helicopter rigs. Every thing but dynamite :rofl: What works the best for me is a method feeder and hide the hook in the mix. Doesn’t work all the time. However it’s simple and affective :thumbsup:

Trout. I Also stay simple. Barrel feeder running loose on the main line attached to a swivel with a foot of hook length attached. And that’s it :thumbsup:

On occasion I dabble a little in fly fishing. Only when I have ernd a few brownie points ;)
For carp I use a quiver tip on a 12 foot rod anything fro 5 to 8lb BS line and a size 8 or 10 barbless hook. About 12 inches above the hook I clip on a single AAA shot for casting weight and for bait a couple of sweet corn feed down the margins and you will know when the carp start grubbing around then plop your bait in the middle

I've been using poles for some years and my favourite is a Middy 5.5m elasticated whip. I tie my own rigs most of them pretty light as I don't have anything over the 3lb mark in the lake. But when I do fish elsewhere I then I go for rig with an 8lb main line and no 8 or 10 barbless hook. I usually fish in the margins.
If I'm fishing at the lake I use natural baits, mainly pinkies, coloured maggots or worm with sweetcorn, luncheon meat or hemp as groundbait.
I use much the same carping, I've never been into spending fortunes on boilies and stuff. But then I don't specifically target a species, I just enjoy fishing.:)

I like to do a bit of Saltwater fly fishing.:thumbsup:

Going to try for Flounder this year I think it will be a fun species to target.
Lost a nice 7wt rod on one of our holidays abroad :(

Picked up what looks to be a nice cheap rod......a Greys GR20 9' #7wt.
If I lose this one it won't hurt as much :D

Going to try a WF Intermediate line with a Polly Superfast sinking leader and a few feet of 10/ 12lb mono.

For flies, I was thinking Clouser pattern in the main.

May look out for a small inflatable/boat to potter about in the estuary this year....we shall see.......if not....off the shore it will be:thumbsup:
Used the fly gear off of a Sit on Top Kayak years ago......had Pollock, Wrasse, Bass and Gar......great fun and good sport.:thumbsup:

Tight lines all.

I fish a local mixed course lake by me , simple float fishing and method feeder , occasionally floating dog biscuits for a bit of carp stalking .

Also like a little fly fishing for trout but am a pure novice !

When on holiday I like to try my hand at a little light rock fishing and see what I can catch on the hand line .

Great way to relax and let the world go by ......

I fish a local mixed course lake by me , simple float fishing and method feeder , occasionally floating dog biscuits for a bit of carp stalking .

Also like a little fly fishing for trout but am a pure novice !

When on holiday I like to try my hand at a little light rock fishing and see what I can catch on the hand line .

Great way to relax and let the world go by ......
Yep keep it simple is best (my opinion) Little known fact, the fishing floats in tackle shops catch far more anglers than they do fish:whistle:

Currently in Mexico , it’s apparently great salt water fly fishing for bone fish ( I didn’t bring a rod ) I’ve been fishing whilst here and caught my first mahi mahi yesterday . Also been catching on poachers handine in the lagoon . Threads to follow when I get home ......

See a few programs on the fly for bone fish. It looks like they hit hard and run hard. Wouldn’t mind a go:D

Looking forward to the threads:thumbsup:

Currently in Mexico , it’s apparently great salt water fly fishing for bone fish ( I didn’t bring a rod ) I’ve been fishing whilst here and caught my first mahi mahi yesterday . Also been catching on poachers handine in the lagoon . Threads to follow when I get home ......
You catch a bonefish on a normal rod and reel Rob you had better have your drag set loose mate coz sure as hell you'll get snapped off

Tell me about it , I brought light tackle for a bit of fun , I’ve been smashed up loads , all takes are mega aggressive and then make massive runs , fight like crazy on a little telescopic rod .......

Tell me about it , I brought light tackle for a bit of fun , I’ve been smashed up loads , all takes are mega aggressive and then make massive runs , fight like crazy on a little telescopic rod .......
Yep and the only fish I've caught in UK that can even come close is the Barbel

I haven't fished seriously in a lot of years, I used to like game fishing mostly on fly, prawn and maggot, sold all my gear off when I emigrated, BIGGEST mistake I ever made :(

Well Rob likes his fishing too Al.....you could both sort out a camp site with a lake somewhere near you and have a few fishing camps......off the rocks too when near the sea?
You would get the use of the gear and enjoy your camp too :thumbsup:........go onnnnnnn :rofl:

Well Rob likes his fishing too Al.....you could both sort out a camp site with a lake somewhere near you and have a few fishing camps......off the rocks too when near the sea?
You would get the use of the gear and enjoy your camp too :thumbsup:........go onnnnnnn :rofl:

Yeah we are talking about it atm, just I have a lot on my plate atm so can't commit, hopefully it won't be long before I'm out and about again.

Not sure if this will help as I am in the states, the southeastern part. I fish for largemouth bass., I tend to favor med-hvy rods with Abu Garcia 4600 reels, as well as Daiwa Tatula and Fuego reels. I'll buy 4600's off evilbay and go through them to make them smooth.

Back