• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What Have You Done Of Late That Might Further Your Chances Of Survival?

Keith

Very Addicted
I took a trip into the city early this morning & renewed my firearms licence. On the way back I dropped into the pump shop & purchased an electric water pump for pumping water from the lower catchment tank to the upper tank that feeds the main house.
Keith.

Keith

Very Addicted
Put in 4 posts for two more rows of berries, that upped the heart rate a bit, good exercise. We are expanding the garden area at both houses, we still have room to spare inside the already fenced off garden area. Just a matter of making better use of the land we have, & it will mean less grass to mow.
Keith.

Ystranc

I'm currently on with pruning my 9 year old orchard for shape and setting mole traps in an effort to suppress moles and the voles that use their mole runs before they can do much damage.

I'm also having a rabbit cull. I eat a lot of rabbit but I'm currently getting so many that I'm mincing the shot up ones for pet food and freezing it.

Barbara

Extremely Talkative
Finished pruning the berries but still have the apple trees to do. They have been neglected for many years so need some serious work.
Sorted through my saved seeds and have put them in planting order.
Enriched the vegetable beds with compost out of the compost bins.
Found some more punk wood and added it to my concealed (from OH) stash.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I'm improving my foraging skills - they're not too bad, but always more to learn ;)

hodgson

Extremely Talkative
Checked my three year rotation for the veggie garden, checked what seeds I still had and what needed replacing. Went out and bought onion, parsnip and celery seeds. Made paper pots and sowed onion seeds for on the kitchen window sill. I feel tired just writing that :)

Keith

Very Addicted
I made a heap of mulch yesterday, most of which went on the new berry patch. I put the now charged battery back in the Lada 4WD so I can start hauling firewood in again. I mowed the grass around the gardens. That was yesterday.
Today up before the sun as usual, fed the chooks & collected the eggs, went for my usual walk round Henry's Wood, carried buckets of water from one of the water butts to the inside laundry & used the weight to do shrugs. Then I did the wood chore, wheelbarrowing stove wood from the woodshed to the house & carrying it inside. That took me a little over an hour, & it was good exercise:)
Keith.
Mulched berry Patch 001 REDUCED.jpg
Mulched berry Patch 002 REDUCED.jpg

The mulched berry patch & some mulch made from tree bark. I imagine the birds will be pinching this fluffy mulch for nests:)

Keith

Very Addicted
Finished the new pumpkin patch ready for next year. Plowed & composted.
New pumpkin patch REDUCED.jpg

hodgson

Extremely Talkative
We were splitting and stacking more wood and the axe head got stuck in a log, end of work til it gets fixed or replaced. Currently stacking wood for 2020

Ystranc

We were splitting and stacking more wood and the axe head got stuck in a log, end of work til it gets fixed or replaced. Currently stacking wood for 2020
Stuck or snapped? If it's a wooden handle that snapped it's an easy fix. If you need to get the stub of the handle out just hammer the axe head partially into the ground until the handle stub is level with the ground. Then build a small hot teepee fire over the axe head. The earth will protect the temper of the axe blade while the fire will shrink and burn away the wood. If you can find the metal wedges save them (I'm also frugal)
Unless you have been drying some timber from an ash for the last 12 months I would reccomend that you buy a suitable hickory handle (£10-£15) new iron wedges will cost about 10p each and I always use at least 2 of them.
The whole job should take less then an hour