• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What Is On Your Wish List ?

Snap. I get it now when my pop would say he needed a younger man and a set of jump leads.:D

I do need some new waders. I've got a few too many repairs on the old ones.
I take it from that that your angler Mike, sea fresh or both?

Fresh, mainly coarse haven't had much chance for fly fishing. I almost bought piece of land with access to a trout stream not long ago but the fishing rights weren't being sold with the land. I've never had the chance for sea fishing and now I'm too decrepid.

Fresh, mainly coarse haven't had much chance for fly fishing. I almost bought piece of land with access to a trout stream not long ago but the fishing rights weren't being sold with the land. I've never had the chance for sea fishing and now I'm too decrepid.
Its a pity you live so far away because I'm looking to slim down my kit

I just ordered a pair of zipp off trousers from Pinewood. Hunting green, 65%Polyester 35% Cotton. "Sahara" they are called, but my idea is to use them in France and Germany during the summer.

We will see, if they are worth the money.

But a lot of people recommend them, so I hope, they will survive a bit.

I just ordered a pair of zipp off trousers from Pinewood. Hunting green, 65%Polyester 35% Cotton. "Sahara" they are called, but my idea is to use them in France and Germany during the summer.

We will see, if they are worth the money.

But a lot of people recommend them, so I hope, they will survive a bit.
Will you be tucking the bottoms in? I've experienced the German ticks first hand

I've experienced the Sussex ticks first hand, you wouldn't believe the dosage of antibiotics they gave me.
been there and done that as well but I'm inclined to check my dogs before myself

The dogs were not with me on that jaunt Joe but I respect that you care for your dogs first. Do you carry a tick removal tool. I use the old fashioned one that is like a little fork set at a right angle to the handle where you twist the tick clockwise to release its jaws.

The dogs were not with me on that jaunt Joe but I respect that you care for your dogs first. Do you carry a tick removal tool. I use the old fashioned one that is like a little fork set at a right angle to the handle where you twist the tick clockwise to release its jaws.
Yes I have a couple of tick tools, some of the worst have been the deer ticks in the New Forest

Ticks do not really like me.
The problem seems to be individual.

But of course:
If it isn't to hot, I tuck the bottoms of my trousers in the boots.

And if I use shoes and shorts on summer hikes, I avoid to walk through high gras, I avoid ways of wild animals and ground, where farmers animals are living.

But sometimes, I can't avoid it. And than I use long trousers and high boots in Summer times too.

WP_20180306_12_18_22_Pro.jpg

In Germany hiking and working trousers with ventilation zipps come more and more in fashion. There the ventilation you have over the knee.
(Engelbert Strauss, Fjällräven, Lundhags etc)

Last edited:
I have been known to treat the tops of my boots belt line and cuffs of my trousers with permethrin to dissuade ticks but my number one insect enemy are horse flys. For mosquitos and midges you can just net up but horseflys will bite right through your clothing. They seem to prefer me as a staple food group and they damn well hurt!

I have been known to treat the tops of my boots belt line and cuffs of my trousers with permethrin to dissuade ticks but my number one insect enemy are horse flys. For mosquitos and midges you can just net up but horseflys will bite right through your clothing. They seem to prefer me as a staple food group and they damn well hurt!
Yep nasty little beasties and when they do bite the itch can last for ages and there is a major temptation to scratch the bite which in turn can lead to infection

Nothing new on the wish list now, but I did get something a few weeks ago that I have wanted to try for quite a while. One of these quick boil pots...It's not the titanium job, just light weight aluminium.

P1040770.jpg

I've used the same kit since old Noah's Ark grounded on Mount Ararat...so new fancy kit is a bit of a big deal for me.

DSCF4602.jpg

I do not believe, that you will get all the dirt out of this theoretically intelligent construction!

I think they might be good for very, very, very experienced users of gas stoves, who never, never, never make a mistake while they are cooking.
For normal bushcrafters I think that doesn't work.
How should we clean it a bit after use over a fire???

The old kit in my opinion has a different design, because it is made to use it over open wood fire. And if you use this, you are in my opinion far better equipped, than with this new pot.

The old army outfitters surely haven't been idiots.
Ok, new materials allow new and lighter constructions. But if they aren't made especially for buscraft, they are worse than the old stuff.

The only interesting new pots I found are made by Toaks and Tomshoo, 750ml, titanium on the photo, from Toaks existing in several sizes too.

WP_20180401_02_48_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't intend using the new pot on a wood fire, Erbswurst. I often use a small gas stove on day walks or when back packing generally. I find it's a simple solution to cooking rather than having to consider whether I can light a fire, or collect firewood.
I walk a lot on open Downland so wood fuel is not easy to find and open fires not welcome anyway.

DSCF5058.jpg

DSCF4485.jpg

Back