• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

what knife

Coated will prevent the rust whilst it's still an easy to sharpen carbon blade and a good price.

Coated will prevent the rust whilst it's still an easy to sharpen carbon blade and a good price.
who would you recommend for a higher end knife ? one that will last

The lower end knives will in all likelihood last as long as you need them to.

The only reason in my mind to purchase a "high end knive" is because you want a high end knife rather than it being significantly better in any real terms.

The lower end knives will in all likelihood last as long as you need them to.

The only reason in my mind to purchase a "high end knive" is because you want a high end knife rather than it being significantly better in any real terms.

ok just want a knife to last I'm a big believer you get what you pay for

Couple of British makers to look out for. Stuart Smith, last I saw he made hunter, bushy style outdoor knives with a nice clean, classic look to them. Guy Stanthorp, outdoors and hunting knives with a tactical twist, once had the pleasure of owning one of his. Owen Wilson, more seax type blades but awesome work. Alan Wood if you can find and afford one.
Off the shelf, look at Fallkniven, Ive seen an F1 being battoned through a 6" nail and brick in one go without any damage.
Spyderco, serrata uses the original custom design of investment cast stainless steel and gives a awesome knife, if you can get your hands on a original Zackerty serrata before spyderco bought the design grab it and never let go...
The list can go on forever and lots of people will tell you loads of different things so research is key and knowing what you expect from the blade. Also hold as many as you can get your mitts on so you can get a feel for the knive you are looking for.
Ooo as a side note esee knives are worth a look too, I had a 3 and its almost indistructable and comes with a lifetime guarantee, its one of the only brands you can customise and not loose your guarantee...

Another custom maker to look for is Dave Cox, he is from South Africa but moving over here atm, might already be here. I've got a axe, adze, spoon knife, athame dagger and boline from him and every one is amazing and made to order. If he is trading, Id definately recommend him...

who would you recommend for a higher end knife ? one that will last

Forget anything made by a so called knife maker.

The answer to your question. . . Fallkniven

In my opinion the best outdoor knives currently made. Issued to special forces around the world for a reason.

You could wast £150 plus on a knife made in a shed or own a Fallkniven.

I kinda agree with you on the Fallkniven but also disagree. There are loads of makers out there making knives miles above a Fallkniven that are not shed jockies but full time makers and smiths. Additionally if you have a knife made you have the opportunity to discuss miniscule details that can be built into your blade. You in essence get a knife made for you to your exact specifications. That you will never get in a Fallkniven or anything similar.

I kinda agree with you on the Fallkniven but also disagree. There are loads of makers out there making knives miles above a Fallkniven that are not shed jockies but full time makers and smiths. Additionally if you have a knife made you have the opportunity to discuss miniscule details that can be built into your blade. You in essence get a knife made for you to your exact specifications. That you will never get in a Fallkniven or anything similar.
what do you think of the knifes on ray Mears web site?

Ray mears is probably one of the best survival experts out there. But in my opinion the knifes are way over priced. Just my opinion. You could get the same quality knife for about £150 to £200.

Ray mears is probably one of the best survival experts out there. But in my opinion the knifes are way over priced. Just my opinion. You could get the same quality knife for about £150 to £200.
who from?

Looking at that page I think if I had £150 spare I'd push the. Is your and buy 2 or even 3 mora clippers and habe £120 left over!

what do you think of the knifes on ray Mears web site?

Ray Mears' bushy was originally made by Alan Wood, these go for a pretty packet and do not loose their value even with use. But yes they are pricey...

This site is worth a look.

http://www.huntingandknives.co.uk/

Ask for Jorge in any communications you have with them and mention you are a member of the forum.....he will give you a good deal and excellent service :thumbsup:

This company have some first class knives at good prices and were kind enough to donate a knife to the forum:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Totally forgot about huntingandknifes. Good shout bill. I had the pleasure of reviewing one of there knifes. :thumbsup:

Back