• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

what knife

A original woodlore can go for upwards of 500, a quick google brought one for £745. The latest models go for around 200 to 250...

A original woodlore can go for upwards of 500, a quick google brought one for £745. The latest models go for around 200 to 250...
Its an awful lot of money for something my hultafors will do and you'll never break a hultafors, I agree the Ray Mears knives are good but three quarters of what you're paying for is a name

Its an awful lot of money for something my hultafors will do and you'll never break a hultafors, I agree the Ray Mears knives are good but three quarters of what you're paying for is a name

I do agree with you on that, I don't think I could bring myself to splash out 800 quid for a knife that was made to be used. I say think cause I just don't have that much expendable income :rofl:
I am also not a massive fan of the bushy shape but my original answer was in response to the question asked.
That being said, should you be able to afford one, it is one piece of kit that will keep its value. You can pass a Alan Wood bushy on to your kids and they can pass it to theirs if it gets looked after, whereas a Hultafors or Mora does not really warrant heirloom status imo.

I do agree with you on that, I don't think I could bring myself to splash out 800 quid for a knife that was made to be used. I say think cause I just don't have that much expendable income :rofl:
I am also not a massive fan of the bushy shape but my original answer was in response to the question asked.
That being said, should you be able to afford one, it is one piece of kit that will keep its value. You can pass a Alan Wood bushy on to your kids and they can pass it to theirs if it gets looked after, whereas a Hultafors or Mora does not really warrant heirloom status imo.
I appreciate the answer but unless you have somebody who is going to follow in your shoes then there's no point. For many years I had a puma white hunter very expensive and probably the best bushcraft knife ever made but these days my cheapies are up to the task

Yea, I know the white hunters. There was a time I was looking high and low for one.
I also agree that a cheapy can do the job just as well as many of the more expensive models out there.
I do however think that a cheapy nor any factory made high end one will never be able to replace a well made custom built knife where you had the opportunity to sit down and talk to the maker before hand. The attention to detail and quality control applied by a single craftsman overshadows any factory out there any day of the week.

All that being said and done, the best knife for any job will always be the one you have with you when you need one...

Now I like this answer mate. Heirloom is right up my alley :thumbsup: Something I can pass to one of my kids. (Am not buying one for each:rofl:) for this! I would pay 800 for one. Would have to save tho :D

By any chance are you on commission for the sales of his knifeso_O:rofl: you make a convincing point :thumbsup:

Now I like this answer mate. Heirloom is right up my alley :thumbsup: Something I can pass to one of my kids. (Am not buying one for each:rofl:) for this! I would pay 800 for one. Would have to save tho :D

By any chance are you on commission for the sales of his knifeso_O:rofl: you make a convincing point :thumbsup:

Ha, I wish... The conversation just kinda focused on the bushlore, but to be honest I would make the same argument about any knife maker worth his salt. They don't all become famous or reach that price bracket but most of them has the potential to do so and produce the same if not in some cases better quality pieces. Some are just luckier than others and their original pieces end up on production lines, which in turn make the originals much more sought after by collectors.
Chris Reeve, J Nielson and right at the top Loveless are other makers that caught this gap in the collector/user market.

Ha, I wish... The conversation just kinda focused on the bushlore, but to be honest I would make the same argument about any knife maker worth his salt. They don't all become famous or reach that price bracket but most of them has the potential to do so and produce the same if not in some cases better quality pieces. Some are just luckier than others and their original pieces end up on production lines, which in turn make the originals much more sought after by collectors.
Chris Reeve, J Nielson and right at the top Loveless are other makers that caught this gap in the collector/user market.
the thing with Chris reeve knifes are now copied in china now.. I managed to pick up a Stephen wade cox woodlore knife but its tool steel so going to have keep a close eye on it for rusting

the best knife for any job will always be the one you have with you when you need one...
So if this is a fact then it's up to you to make sure you absolutely have the best knife you can afford on your person when you need it. Not only the best you can afford but the one knife you can trust your life with. The bottom line is how much is your life worth?
Dom......

So if this is a fact then it's up to you to make sure you absolutely have the best knife you can afford on your person when you need it. Not only the best you can afford but the one knife you can trust your life with. The bottom line is how much is your life worth?
Dom......
yes I got a woodlore knife it is really nice

it just says swc on one side and ray Mears on the other .really nice knife won't have to buy another this does me sound
It would be a pro...they dont make them after a short run as mr cox sadly died.
Keep hold of it

They are nice looking knifes. Possibly one day I may own one :thumbsup:

Anyone have a fallkniven?

F1s are fantastic..s1 i bought because it sat between the a1 and f1. Nothing wrong with it just a size i did not need.
I got rid of all miltary looking knives to avoid any misconceptions of others i may come across.
And the fact i prefer my garberg to the f1

Like the look of the a1. Iv had smaller knifes and I prefer the larger ones. Am More survival knife than bushcraft. This may wear of once it’s out my system lol

Like the look of the a1. Iv had smaller knifes and I prefer the larger ones. Am More survival knife than bushcraft. This may wear of once it’s out my system lol
I went through it myself. Can see the benefits of them but use a cheap chete for beating on.
Plus i love myself a nice axe

Back