• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What to do with a pond?

Big thanks @MikeR ! Great links with loads of information and the cost including delivery seems really reasonable. I looked at the Swan Mussels and they look like a great thing to have in the pond. I notice they live for 12 years, which is remarkable and also grow quite big, they're now on my wish list :)

Having second thoughts about the Swan Mussels now. Apparently in the larval stage they attach themselves to fish and feed from them. :eek:

Having second thoughts about the Swan Mussels now. Apparently in the larval stage they attach themselves to fish and feed from them. :eek:

It seems they don't really do much harm to the fish but the fish on the other hand find them quite a treat to eat. Bitterling thrive when sharing a pond with the swan mussels because they lay their eggs in the shells according to this article

No Bitterling in the Lake, but there are some Tench and apparently they like a Swan mussel.;) So I still might pass, more research needed.

No Bitterling in the Lake, but there are some Tench and apparently they like a Swan mussel.;) So I still might pass, more research needed.

Searching different forums there are mixed messages but the biggest problem seems to be them not surviving because of starvation and then polluting the pond as they rot. I don't think survival would be a problem in a large well established pond with a mud on the bottom as I assume there will be plenty for them to eat. I don't imagine that you are going to see them very often though if they live in the mud. I think I will get some just for the hell of it.

Back