• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What's in Your Cupboard?

The onions (and garlic) are easy to both grow or store) I can't grow carrots in my soil even if my life depended on it, I need to use a raised bed and I've never had the patience to prat around growing celery.
We do a lot of tomatoes, globe cucumbers, crown prince pumpkins, onions, garlic but I prefer growing perennial fruit because I get a much greater return on my effort...apples, plums, damsons, figs, goji, gooseberries.
I've also spread small cuttings and grafts around my secondary sites. Once the farmers stop cutting hedges out of season I will see the result. It costs me nothing except a little time and if I'm not there the birds will benefit from them so nothing is wasted.

I have a GALVANISED bin,coated on the outside with bitumen and buried in a permanently shady spot, buried to lid- level.It holds at a steady 9°c in the Summer.EU law on food temperature states a maximum of 8°c,so as an emergency fridge its OK,but as a 'clamp' its spot on.
Alanm, please could you post a photo when you get a chance, I'd like to see it :)

The onions (and garlic) are easy to both grow or store) I can't grow carrots in my soil even if my life depended on it, I need to use a raised bed and I've never had the patience to prat around growing celery.
We do a lot of tomatoes, globe cucumbers, crown prince pumpkins, onions, garlic but I prefer growing perennial fruit because I get a much greater return on my effort...apples, plums, damsons, figs, goji, gooseberries.
I've also spread small cuttings and grafts around my secondary sites. Once the farmers stop cutting hedges out of season I will see the result. It costs me nothing except a little time and if I'm not there the birds will benefit from them so nothing is wasted.

Have to admit, I've never grown celery and so didn't realise it was such a challenge and I guess the weather in the North, West will add to my challenge. Looks like adding celery salt to my stores is a sound idea. I'm lucky to have a small orchard at my new house and I plan to add to it. I agree that you get a really good return on fruit trees and bushes. I was planning to try and get more blackberry into my hedges too. May also try to get some figs going in the conservatory. Would be interested to hear more about your grafts, what you are grafting and how you do it. Have you posted anything on it?

I don't grow celery either. Try Celeriac it's not such a pain to grow and for the celery flavour grow Lovage, lots of Lovage. Hamburg Parsley is another good one for flavourful roots and easy enough to grow.

I don't grow celery either. Try Celeriac it's not such a pain to grow and for the celery flavour grow Lovage, lots of Lovage. Hamburg Parsley is another good one for flavourful roots and easy enough to grow.

Thanks for the tips on celery alternatives... they're all going on my list :)

Alanm, please could you post a photo when you get a chance, I'd like to see it :)
Oh dear! If I knew how ,I would! It is just a bin sunk into the ground though.
I will have to get my lad to show me how.

Lol are you technically inept like me Alan? :) It takes me forever to adjust to changes to forums and websites.:sad:

Oh dear! If I knew how ,I would! It is just a bin sunk into the ground though.
I will have to get my lad to show me how.
Lol are you technically inept like me Alan? :) It takes me forever to adjust to changes to forums and websites.:sad:
l thought it was just me even though l started using computers at work back in the mid 80s. At least you have an avatar, Ystranc. On the other hand, l can do practical things and my cupboards are full.

The avatar is easy, you build a profile by clicking on your identity top right hand side of the page.

I work on a ' need to know' basis with technology. Pictures on the net I can live without.

Effervescent flavoured multivitamin tablets, faster absorption and good for making boiled water taste less earthy, I've currently run out of squash so I'm glad I've got some.

I am aiming to have a years worth of rice for every family member and then lots of dried beans on top ,I am pretty close to that. I would like to buy a dehydrator so I can dry veggies too, However this would be dependant on electricity at the end of the day. I have a fair bit of salt and sugar and spices. Lots of flower and yeast. Ideally I would like to have a couple of years basics and then I could add to that with caught/trapped/shot food and grown vegetables in a SHTF scenario.

Plans for extending my storage this year :thumbsup: large shed with storage cupboards with a chest freezer. Mite start building it later in the year. In the meantime am working on what foods to store in the cupboards as I would like to rotate the usage so it gets used and replaced. It’s rather easy to do this at the moment as I only have 1 storage cupboard lol.

" What's in my cupboard?"

Rat Packs...lot's of Rat Packs....I'm a lazy 'ol bloke, I don't have to think, just open the box and I know I'll be good for at least another day+........:D

DSCF4384.jpg

I am aiming to have a years worth of rice for every family member and then lots of dried beans on top ,I am pretty close to that. I would like to buy a dehydrator so I can dry veggies too, However this would be dependant on electricity at the end of the day. I have a fair bit of salt and sugar and spices. Lots of flower and yeast. Ideally I would like to have a couple of years basics and then I could add to that with caught/trapped/shot food and grown vegetables in a SHTF scenario.

I'm not sure if you've ever watched it, but in the series the Wartime Farm, Ruth was using a small drying shed to dehydrate stuff using just the residual heat.
I've also seen a home made dehydrator.

Best-Ever Solar Food Dehydrator Plans - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Back