• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

wheeeeeen things go wronnnnng.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Hello folks, I had to make an unplanned trip to Lincolnshire to see my sister who is unwell. I chucked things including the laptop into the car and drove up overnight. ( nearly 8 hours..road works..)
In the past my sister has objected to laptops or any computer in her house as apparently they are used by the Government to spy on pensioners..but I was able to convince her that I've had the laptop..specially sterilised..and it was safe.
Sorted out a few admin/legal/health care problems and even `managed to get her to look at old photos on the laptop, then the fun began. :D Trying to demonstrate how an email worked I started typing. " This is an eeeeeeeeeeemail " :eek: Hang on Sis, let me try something else...Londonnn Briiiiiiiidge.. Lincooooln. Teeeesting. :eek:

I won't go on but I'm not sure if her Alzheirmers was helped at all by my demo. The laptop had been working, I'd made a post on another forum a few days previously, but now it was playing up at precisely the wrong time. Back home I took it to a local computer Wizard. Nearly 10 years old, Toshiba don't make laptops anymore, chuck it in the bin, not worth the expense of repair.
I now have a resurrected Home PC..it is enormous! Screen like a TV, 20 inches, a black box out of which 27 miles of wire hang, to the keyboard, Mouse, Screen, and 2 speakers, the Sky black box and the wall socket...but it works and life is now in Cinema Scope :lol:. and at a fraction of the cost of a new laptop and there's a guarantee with it.
Wizard said it's outdated but fine for someone who doesn't play computer games or download tons of... Apps??

Corner of the sitting room looks like a NASA Control Office...:rofl:

The miles of wire might look a little messy but it’s better than having to change batteries in your mouse or keyboard in the middle of something important.
The Mrs uses a PC while I prefer Mac and iPad

Hope your sister is doing well sax 👍🏻

Re the computer, wouldn’t thank you for it mate … last time I had one it caught fire and I lost 100’s of pictures 😳, also prefer the iPad and the cloud! Where apparently all my stuff is stored 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

If there's stuff on the laptop you want there are ways and means, an external caddy that you plug the hard drive into is then read by the PC, iirc they're not too expensive.

If it’s an old Toshiba that you’re trying to retrieve information from it would probably all fit onto a largish USB memory stick.

If it’s an old Toshiba that you’re trying to retrieve information from it would probably all fit onto a largish USB memory stick.

I dissected the dead Toshiba laptop and found the hard drive which I recall was only secured by tiny screws. The PC whizzo has taken all my photos off it and as you say Mike, loaded them onto a memory stick, so I lost nothing. There was nothing else on the laptop, I don't keep files or personal info, so apart from Favourites ( mostly Surplus or Boat/Marine supplies...:lol: ) which I didn't bother retrieving from the HD I'm back to square one.:thumbsup:

AS long as the Himalayan is safe.......:thumbsup:
(have you seen piccies of the new Mandello V100??????/)
RE Meteor? BSA 650 Gold Star..........:eek:

Back