• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wheely strange...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Looking into the boot of a Ford C Max, in the spare wheel space was a pre-formed expended polystyrene 'wheel shape' with cut outs. In one cut out was a plastic bottle of tyre sealant, in another cut out was a pump. No jack apparent...No spare wheel either !! I was told that some vehicles are now sold like that..The polystyrene filling piece was obviously made by the car manufacturer with various serial numbers embossed etc: The tyre sealant came with instructions in typical EU fashion, about 8 different languages.

I know many cars come with a 'Space saver' skinny spare now, My car has one, but are they now selling cars with a do-it-yourself tyre repair kit, instead of a spare? Just curious, car was an earlier model Ford Focus C max, not the latest Ford Supermax style.

Our Peugeot comes with either the tyre weld in a bottle or a drop down full sized spare, I turned down the ones with the tyre weld in favour of the spare wheel...call me old fashioned.

Ah! Thanks for that, I never knew about the alternative until I saw the tyre weld etc: I learn something every day... :D...I would go for the proper spare every time too, although mine is an emergency 50mph type.

Our last two cars haven't had spare wheels and tyres, only the jack and weld stuff :(

I replaced the clutch on a Mark 2 Cortina years ago in about 3 hours. Motor up on ramps down the side of the house.
The space under the bonnet of my present car is so jammed with plastic covers and electronic sensor circuits I haven't got the bottle to do anything more than dip the oil and top up the screen wash...:lol:

"Our last two cars haven't had spare wheels and tyres, only the jack and weld stuff "

Ah! No wonder I'm behind the times, I had my old 4 x 4 for 19 years...Times have changed !!

Looking into the boot of a Ford C Max, in the spare wheel space was a pre-formed expended polystyrene 'wheel shape' with cut outs. In one cut out was a plastic bottle of tyre sealant, in another cut out was a pump. No jack apparent...No spare wheel either !! I was told that some vehicles are now sold like that..The polystyrene filling piece was obviously made by the car manufacturer with various serial numbers embossed etc: The tyre sealant came with instructions in typical EU fashion, about 8 different languages.

I know many cars come with a 'Space saver' skinny spare now, My car has one, but are they now selling cars with a do-it-yourself tyre repair kit, instead of a spare? Just curious, car was an earlier model Ford Focus C max, not the latest Ford Supermax style.
My Vauxhall doesn't have a spare just one of those sealing kits, about as much use as tits on a frog when Wendy hit the kirb and ripped the side wall out. Also no jacking points so now I have a buckled side frame after taking the wheel off

I 've always wondered about those skinny space saver things , if you have to put one on the car where does the full size flat go?

I haven't had occasion to swop wheels yet, so I'm just guessing, obviously the 16 inch spacer saver will fit diameter wise in the wheel well but the lid or boot floor panel will not fit exactly flush because of the tyre width. It's only carpet covered hardboard anyway, so it will bow slightly but shouldn't be damaged unless you have some very heavy gear in the boot.

The recommendation (at least for my spare ) is 125 miles @ max 50 mph only before refitting a proper road tyre, so back to 4 proper road tyres as soon as possible is the aim.

My little Smart Sports Coupe had no spare but a inflator /sealer cannister..................
(a real giant killer, :whistle: !!;))

Attachments

• DSCF3645.JPG
    DSCF3645.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 60
Ah! yeah! but with 4 inch wheels an inflator should work well..............:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: lol
Back