• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

When the lights go out lol

Although said jokingly it’s amazing how many Northerers I’ve met genuinely believe this is factual; normally timing referring to me as a soft southerner a few days before they start making excuses why that can’t make it in because the weathers bad!

Clearly at such times are full of sympathy and understanding!

I read an article in the news this morning stating that people in Scotland and the North East are ’exhausted‘ after 5 days without power. One (39 year old) commented that ‘trying to keep warm and cook is hard work‘.🙄
‘There is no back up system’🤔
A 42 year old dentist said, “It’s heart breaking really it’s not even easy making a cup of tea on a stove”

There was more but I couldn’t read it.

Generation X and the Millenials.

I rest my case. 😆

I’ve seen just as many late middle aged (ie this group’s dynamic!) people moaning; they’re the generation that is critical of the youth of today as having things too easy.

Realistically society generally stoves to make life easier for those that follow; we always have and likely always will and these steps come as a shock to the system but are generally overcome.

I’ve seen just as many late middle aged (ie this group’s dynamic!) people moaning; they’re the generation that is critical of the youth of today as having things too easy.

Realistically society generally stoves to make life easier for those that follow; we always have and likely always will and these steps come as a shock to the system but are generally overcome.

Naah, I beg to differ..
I’ve experienced it in a few organisations across the age groups and across numerous different disciplInes (including at one point, coincidentally, DofE).

Yes, they ALL moan (‘some on here might recall ‘accept moderate grousing as normal’ as a leadership maxim?) but I have found that (more of) the older generation(s) whilst moaning, still got on with a task in hand and/or worked through difficulties/found a solution.

Gen X and The Millennials on the other hand seem to have far less common dog and seize up if they can’t access the internet for answers - and then start whingeing about WHO ELSE is going to sort out THEIR problem! They have high sense of expectation and a high sense of entitlement.

My wife worked throughout all the covid lockdowns (front line retail) and found that when fast food restaurants closed her younger members of staff, who were cohabiting as opposed to still living at home, were practically clueless at how to look after themselves and she spent time helping them to organise basic shopping; weekly meal planning and meal prep. Few had food in stock to last even a few days (but they’d all got the most up to date/expensive mobile phones/bling/ cars!) and what they had was usually microwave only stuff, God help them if the power had gone down and they’d had to resort to………………camping stoves!🤣🤣🤣

I read an article in the news this morning stating that people in Scotland and the North East are ’exhausted‘ after 5 days without power. One (39 year old) commented that ‘trying to keep warm and cook is hard work‘.🙄
A 42 year old dentist said, “It’s heart breaking really it’s not even easy making a cup of tea on a stove”

There was more but I couldn’t read it.

Generation X and the Millenials.

I rest my case. 😆
1st world problems

One (39 year old) commented that ‘trying to keep warm and cook is hard work‘.🙄
Why is it up to everyone else to provide a back up system…? The media has been full of articles about how fragile the national grid is recently and still they haven’t even thought to lay in a gas bottle and camping stove. FFS! I have the ability to cook electric, LPG or wood fired/solid fuel…..before I even consider getting out one of my Trangia stoves.

Gen X and The Millennials on the other hand seem to have far less common dog and seize up if they can’t access the internet for answers - and then start whingeing about WHO ELSE is going to sort out THEIR problem! They have high sense of expectation and a high sense of entitlement.

I blame the parents 😂 seriously Tho , I tend to agree with this statement.. however there are exceptions to this rule as with anything I suppose

I blame the parents 😂 seriously Tho , I tend to agree with this statement.. however there are exceptions to this rule as with anything I suppose
Yes I agree with you too - don’t get me wrong, I haven’t written their entire generations off 😆 and I believe that the fault to a (small) degree is down to us as parents/grandparents, but by far I believe that social media; liberalism; celebrity (like that reality TV show bollox) and the media are to blame.

I‘ll bet for instance that the media didn’t bother to or ignored people in Scotland and the North East who are hacking the situation fine - because they have a real world view and prepped for it (Like Ystranc!🙂) But that isn’t sensational and nor does it allow the media to push a political agenda I.e. ‘The government aren’t doing anything/enough’.

I’ve periodically been involved in a conversation along the lines of - is my generation (so called baby boomers) more like my parents generation (post WW1 to end of WW2) or are we more like our offsprings generation (Gen X and The Millennials)?

My fatha was one of nine and brought up in the late ‘20s/‘30s in the back streets during the Depression (no, not the one you get when sowshal meedya is down 😆); meagre meals; worn out hand me downs; sometimes no shoes! no NHS etc.
In no way did I endure that degree of deprivation during my childhood but many things were common - no central heating; no double glazing; ice on the inside of yer winders; fires to make up in the morning, phone - at the end of the street (if you were lucky!) etc. To ‘enjoy’ anything there was a ‘pre payment’ to make - EFFORT.

Yes I agree with you too - don’t get me wrong, I haven’t written their entire generations off 😆 and I believe that the fault to a (small) degree is down to us as parents/grandparents, but by far I believe that social media; liberalism; celebrity (like that reality TV show bollox) and the media are to blame.

I‘ll bet for instance that the media didn’t bother to or ignored people in Scotland and the North East who are hacking the situation fine - because they have a real world view and prepped for it (Like Ystranc!🙂) But that isn’t sensational and nor does it allow the media to push a political agenda I.e. ‘The government aren’t doing anything/enough’.

I’ve periodically been involved in a conversation along the lines of - is my generation (so called baby boomers) more like my parents generation (post WW1 to end of WW2) or are we more like our offsprings generation (Gen X and The Millennials)?

My fatha was one of nine and brought up in the late ‘20s/‘30s in the back streets during the Depression (no, not the one you get when sowshal meedya is down 😆); meagre meals; worn out hand me downs; sometimes no shoes! no NHS etc.
In no way did I endure that degree of deprivation during my childhood but many things were common - no central heating; no double glazing; ice on the inside of yer winders; fires to make up in the morning, phone - at the end of the street (if you were lucky!) etc. To ‘enjoy’ anything there was a ‘pre payment’ to make - EFFORT.
you're showing your age SF.. :sneaky:

Strong men make good times, good times makes weak men ,, weak men make hard times, hard times make strong men …. And so the circle continues …

Hopefully the people without power won’t be caught with their pants down next time…

Strong men make good times, good times makes weak men ,, weak men make hard times, hard times make strong men …. And so the circle continues …

Hopefully the people without power won’t be caught with their pants down next time…
I like that. It’s in the same genre as - ‘Clogs to clogs in three generations’.

Spent the weekend in a boat house conversion on Windermere; owners provided one of these so we’d always have a torch available.

*NEW* 3-in-1 Rechargeable Torch, Automatic Night Light & Emergency Power Cut Light. As seen on BBC's "Dragons Den" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003U47RCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1J7YC2G624ASXKPMTFAV

Other similar options available but could be worth considering to get you from the back door to the kit garage to find the required kit.

Back