• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

where to start

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Morning people new member her have posted on relevant board. I am looking for an air rifle that I can practice with and that will be good enough for small game etc, based in France it looks like the rules here are not as strict as in the UK. after a quick look was thinking this one. if possible somebody with the know-how could check the site and suggest a good starter thats good for both. Also, keen crop grower and have posted on relevant board.

Many Thanks.

Armory Jean Pierre Fusil | Leisure Shot - Weapons of defense

some good stuff in there that is no way legal in UK

Air rifle.png

Hi Med.

I do not think there are many members of the lifeinthewildernessU.K forum who own or shoot any of these rifles.
So getting an opinion or first-hand knowledge of these rifles may be a struggle for you here?

Good luck with your choices.....let us know how you get on........if you do get a rifle think about joining in with the monthly fun shooting competition running on the forum:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly although the French gun laws are much less restrictive than over here it’s illegal to hunt anything with air rifles regardless of power etc.

While I have a Crosman .22 air rifle I would not be able to reccomend it for small game. While it has the power it lacks the accuracy to ensure a clean kill over 25 meters. :( A spring rifle cannot compare with pre-charged air rifles for accuracy. If budget is a consideration then SMK produce reasonably priced CO2 or pre charged air rifles.

Thanks for the input, I don't actually ever intend to shoot anything living, but from a "preppers" view I was wondering if there was a minimum, either power or pellet or whatever that would increase chances of a quick clean kill, accuracy aside that is.

I have adopted the approach of I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. 99.9% of the time it will be paper targets ETC but just in case I would like something big/good enough to do the job if need be.

Paper targets and grey squirrels (~10m) are all I use mine for, the recent target competition made me realise just how inadequate the Crosman is when it comes to accuracy. My intention is to reduce its power a little in an attempt to soften the spring recoil a little but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Hi Med.

Your budget will kind of define what you will buy.

Buying second hand can often be a good shout....you could pick up a more expensive better-built rifle for the price you might pay for a cheaper new one :thumbsup:

Accuracy is more important than power......too much power can work against you with a spring rifle.....far better to have a smooth shot than have the rifle jumping all over the place.
Not to mention the effects of overpowering will have on the ballistics side of things.

There is no reason that you could not shoot out to 45yds with either a PCP or a Springer.........as long as you have a good understanding of the basic Marksmanship principles.
Practice....practice....practice is the way to go.........again....a half decent rifle will help.

The hold of a springer is important to master to get the best from your shot.....look up Artillery hold.

The fit and feel of a new rifle is important........Determine what length you are happy with.....the weight.........and of course what calibre you prefer.........scoped, or open sights..........having a scoped rifle is a bonus once you zero and map it out and WILL give better accuracy at the longer distances...... operation of the rifle.....would you prefer break barrel......side lever.........underlever cocking action.

In your OP you said you wanted to take small game on occasions..........goes without saying that you need to master the targets and rifle before you go for that.

Being a relatively new shooter you could do worse than visit your local RFD and see what is available either second hand or new that is within your budget.
A great opportunity to hold and shoulder a potential choice of the rifle.

Some dealers offer a package deal....rifle + Scope +bag + pellets to get you started.

Keep the very first targets you shoot........pin them up somewhere and watch as your skill levels improve as you move on through the practice sessions.

Having insurance and good knowledge of safe shooting and handling is worth looking into.

Back