• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Which chicken?

DeckNinja

Quite Talkative
Hi All,

After my brief trip back home I've been tasked by Mrs Deck Ninja with researching a little about chickens, her father has always kept layers which has suited him well but I'm after a little more return in investment by way of tasty meat, does anyone have any experience with a multipurpose bread?

I've been reading the Old Testament by John Seymour but wondered if there was anything that supersedes this?

Thanks as always for the help.

Get some red Sussex mate, consistent layers (up to 300 eggs each per year) with a beautiful flavor

Just googled the Sussex breed. They look good, any idea at what age they are best for the pot?

Thanks

Just googled the Sussex breed. They look good, any idea at what age they are best for the pot?

Thanks
Probably about 4 mate, I only kept mine for the eggs but a mink killed them and my rare breeds bantams before I could put them in the pot. They were very friendly chooks and would eat just about any thing including curry

Nice one thanks, I will feed back to head office so she can have a read.

IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
Little update on operation chicken dinner:
I had a week back home so treated myself to a trip down to the sawmill for some materials and have built some suitably over engineered accomadation for our pending tasty arrivals. I've opted for a enclosed run on the assumption that avian flu is going to be a recurring problem. I think I will be able to chuck a tarp over the top of the chicken netting and this should prevent the chickens mixing with wild birds and their droppings. Hopefully the netting will also reduce attacks from the local badger and fox population.

I may see how we get on with the first load of chickens and maybe develop it into a small veg garden in the spring. In theory it could be moved as I attempted to keep the weight down as much as possible.

We shall see - I'll keep you posted!

beautifully engineered I'd say and reading back through the thread for an eating bird I'd definitely go for a Dorking or a Dorking cross

I will check them out, It's the Honiton show in a bit over a week I think and I have been told there may be some quality birds available there so going to see what's what. I'm keen to get some tenants in so we can enjoy it.

Hi Ninja.

The show will be the place to pick up some tips and choices for sure.:thumbsup:

Like the pen...good job...and the pully system on the door is a nice idea.

Just a thought mate....might pay to get some re-bar and fashion some pegs to hold the pen down and in place....if you have not already.

If Mr Brock gets his snout underneath the edge he will easily lift that and be in!

I see you have some blocks along one side.....might pay to dig a trench around the outside and stand the blocks on thier edge abuuting the frame.....and back fill.......might make it more difficult for charlie to dig under.

Look forward to seeing the birds in there mate...stick some pic's up when you have them :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great job:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips one shot, the back and left side have about a ft of wire burried in a trench with the front having a pegged down apron of about a meter. Trouble with the side I have the blocks on is whoever built the shed did so on a very thick bed of rubble and I just don't have the minerals to get through it. I think the rebar idea is a worth while addition I was trying to think what I could use as man pegs. I will see if I can get a mate to smash some in while I'm away.

Any advice on how many birds? The hutch is 120cmx80cm and I think a little over a meter tall with the run being about 2.5mx5m. We hope to let them free range when we are around but with our work schedules day to day the run will have to do. We have a short list of Plymouth rocks, Orpington's and Sussex depending on what's available.

⚓

Thanks for the tips one shot, the back and left side have about a ft of wire burried in a trench with the front having a pegged down apron of about a meter. Trouble with the side I have the blocks on is whoever built the shed did so on a very thick bed of rubble and I just don't have the minerals to get through it. I think the rebar idea is a worth while addition I was trying to think what I could use as man pegs. I will see if I can get a mate to smash some in while I'm away.

Any advice on how many birds? The hutch is 120cmx80cm and I think a little over a meter tall with the run being about 2.5mx5m. We hope to let them free range when we are around but with our work schedules day to day the run will have to do. We have a short list of Plymouth rocks, Orpington's and Sussex depending on what's available.

⚓
Orpingtons are another good breed, with reference to numbers easily six birds possibly eight but no more than that. Do you have a perch in the hutch? If not you need to put one in preferably about two and a half by two and a half inches with the corners rounded off a bit and 12 to 15 inches off the floor..a square perch not a round one

Thanks joe, 6 fits in nicely with my plans. I have a square 2x2 perch the full width about 12 inches off the floor and 2 roosting boxes. I borrowed the design from my local mole valley farm shop as I couldn't face paying nearly £300 for one off the shelf. Think I ended up paying about £70 all in for the materials and hardware I have no doubt the difference has already been swallowed by the wedding plans.

⚓

Thanks joe, 6 fits in nicely with my plans. I have a square 2x2 perch the full width about 12 inches off the floor and 2 roosting boxes. I borrowed the design from my local mole valley farm shop as I couldn't face paying nearly £300 for one off the shelf. Think I ended up paying about £70 all in for the materials and hardware I have no doubt the difference has already been swallowed by the wedding plans.

⚓
Well young man a lot of professionals would have been proud to have produced that so well done

Don't know nothing about keeping chickens my friend but I do know skill when I see it and that chicken coop is spot on...nice job mate. My cousin keeps chickens amongst other animals a will ask him for some advice and post up a few pics of his coop...but a think you have it covered mate

Back