• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Which chicken?

I've not kept them but friends have it can be hard work and you do lose a few to foxes no matter how hard to try to keep them out and disease is a problem but it is a joy to have them and your own fresh eggs

I've not kept them but friends have it can be hard work and you do lose a few to foxes no matter how hard to try to keep them out and disease is a problem but it is a joy to have them and your own fresh eggs
I agree Lee but walking down the road is also a risk

I would have liked to have keep livestock on a farm.

I would have liked to have keep livestock on a farm.
Then we both have the same dream mate, a small holding with animals plus a donkey sanctuary is what I've always wanted

Becky my fiancé and I have dreamt about having a life in the country side and at times it has seemed cliche but having built a relationship on 9 years of time apart filling the border of life we have managed to get our foot in the door and find a place where we can build a life together develop our self reliance skills, bushcraft and animal husbandry. Becky has just enjoyed our first courgettes for dinner and we are looking at building our fury gang to include chickens. I hope the story will be a long and full of happiness. It's great to share our story with you guys and enjoy the benefit of your experience. The forum is an awesome platform and I am hope those that invest their time reap the reward that comes from investing in our community.

Becky my fiancé and I have dreamt about having a life in the country side and at times it has seemed cliche but having built a relationship on 9 years of time apart filling the border of life we have managed to get our foot in the door and find a place where we can build a life together develop our self reliance skills, bushcraft and animal husbandry. Becky has just enjoyed our first courgettes for dinner and we are looking at building our fury gang to include chickens. I hope the story will be a long and full of happiness. It's great to share our story with you guys and enjoy the benefit of your experience. The forum is an awesome platform and I am hope those that invest their time reap the reward that comes from investing in our community.
Its great to read of your dreams and in the fullness of time those dreams WILL happen, I wish you all the best for the future

I know I'm a little late to this party but chicken wire will not keep a determined fox or badger out of the run, however the hens should be fine if you drop the door on the pop hole well before dusk.
For eating I would go for the heavy White Cornish, for eggs I would choose Warren hybrids. They're both friendly placid breeds that get on well even with the disparity in size so they can be kept together.

I know I'm a little late to this party but chicken wire will not keep a determined fox or badger out of the run, however the hens should be fine if you drop the door on the pop hole well before dusk.
For eating I would go for the heavy White Cornish, for eggs I would choose Warren hybrids. They're both friendly placid breeds that get on well even with the disparity in size so they can be kept together.
Mine were red Sussex, wonderful layers and not to fussy about what they ate, unfortunately a wild mink got into my henhouse and killed the lot so there's a lesson, you might make the run fox proof but mink are a different proposition

Back