• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Who Do You Choose

I'm pretty sure Bear Grylls isn't the total adrenaline fuelled nutcase that the TV producers would have you believe he is but I agree, the showmanship displayed in his TV programs is dangerous and sets a poor example.
Survival isn't about chasing an adrenaline rush for me, it's about getting out of there alive and well...(hopefully finding some pants along the way)
I would rather spend half a day goig round an obstacle rather than going over it across it or over it thereby risking my life hence my not choosing Bear.My reason for choosing Ed is that unlike the others he has a track record for surviving with nothing in the most adverse conditions. As mark said he would choose Bear because he could probably get along with him, well in a shipwreck or air crash situation you're not going to be able to choose who's by your side

Sure - just to be fair: I do not doubt that Grylls has no experience at all, and I do not know him personally so I do not want to judge him as a being. But his "survival pop", if I may call it so, could bring people in quite some bad situations. A friend of mine - no joke - actually also tried filtering his pee one time. "Just to see if it works", he said. Needless to say that he got sick, and in the end gave himself a minor ammonia-based intoxication. Same thing with the blood-drinking and such, I just personally would not trust someone who "sells out" like that. If you know what I mean...

I'm pretty sure Bear Grylls isn't the total adrenaline fuelled nutcase that the TV producers would have you believe he is but I agree, the showmanship displayed in his TV programs is dangerous and sets a poor example.
Survival isn't about chasing an adrenaline rush for me, it's about getting out of there alive and well...(hopefully finding some pants along the way)

As you say, @Ark79 - it is a personal choice. I can honestly say that survival - to me, and in what way soever - always means nothing else but staying secure and safe. Les is one of the more adaptable survivalists out there, I believe. In general, survival means adaptability to me. That goes for skills as well as knowledge, psychology and all the other factors defining a survival scenario.

It would be fun though :D

A don’t think there is a wrong choice. It’s more a personal choice as all men are more than capable of self rescue or stay put survival.

@Rathwulven BC drinking pee is more to extend your survival to self rescue or be rescued. Reset the clock so to speak.attitude of “I would rather be ill than dead. Am not sure I would call him a sell out and some pop survival is necessary to gain views. And who could blame him. We all like the money lol. It could be said he takes risks or one could look at it in a view. Risks must be taken to survive a situation.

If I was to rate them rather than pick them. Then bear grills wouldn’t be my first choice. Ray or Ed would be.

Each to there own mate.

I would pick Ed Stafford , he is familiar with that environment and has proven survival instinct . He might be grumpy but I reckon he’d get you out alive.

@Ark79
Well this is a common misconception. Funnily enough, drinking urine dehydrates the body and does not rehydrate it. I am not digging all to deep into this, but just to have a brief look at the science behind this:

Urine contains components such as calcium, potassium, nitrogen and others. Those are excreted by our kidneys and bound in water (which together make your pee) - so drinking urine basically resubmits these harmful components to the body, adding even more to the balance.

An illustration: light yellow, "good" urine contains of about 95% water and 5% toxins, compounds and such. Drinking a glass of that - even though it is not advisable - will not kill you. But if we do assume that any time one needs to pee some 5% of toxic molecules are added, after one glass that makes 10%, then 15%, and so on. This is why many field guides are listing urine next to blood and seawater.

With the rule of thumb that man can survive about 3 days without water in combination with the issue that the compounds mentioned above being triggers for vomiting or diarrhea (both dehydrating factors), one is on the losing end.

There are differing opinions, indeed. Yet studies have also shown that between 1 1/2 to 2 glasses of urine already contain enough harmful contaminants to cause health issues. So for me, that just makes a risk without any benefit. Sorry Bear. :rofl:

The science behind that is convincing @Rathwulven BC but the question is. Would you take the chance if it give you one more day to self rescue?

Anyway a don’t like bear grills enough to keep defending him:rofl:

I personally would not drink urine, disgusting as it may seem part of the water content of urine (or dirty water) can be absorbed safely via an enema :eek:
No way I'm going to let Ed Stafford pee up my backside though, I'd rather die.....:fedup:

@Joecole you should have added my name to the list joe. A mean who wouldn’t want to spend some time in the jungle with a naked Scotsman :rofl:
Perish the thought, survival is hard enough without a wild scotsman hanging his parts in the breeze

The scenario is as you ssaid very unlikely as you say but was carefully selected to see how people think
Carefully selected but not trying to be funny a selection with very vague perimeters. Just dropped into the amazon with one survivalist? Dropped out of a plane ? Perhaps choose whichever one has a parachute? And survive for how long? A day , a week or for the rest of our lives? If it's just for a day then the chuckle brothers could probably do the job.
Similar questions have been asked on other forums with very similar mixed results. One quote I remember from another forum went along the lines of " if you want to survive , Lofty Wiseman , if you want to thrive , Ray Mears and if you want to die screaming in agony , Bear Grylls" .
Going off on a slight tangent but I would like to think that I've picked up enough knowledge from a combination of them all as to not need to rely on just one of them.

Back