• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Who is the best survilalist

Yes I remember the early 1990's Ray mears shows (one of his survival series currently running on the travel channel) where he travel to other countries meeting survival instructors which I think lead him or was a part of him instructing the uk armed forces and don't forget of all the people on offer the police used Ray mears to tracking Roal moat and no doubt lots of other fugitives on the run before and since moat.
Yes, I certainly remember the Most incident. The main issue with the TV shows is that they are so strictly controlled by health and safety that we never get to see how good they really are

At the moment I think survivorman is OK his left to his own resources.

I've listened to a couple of radio shows interviewing Ray mears and on all he diverts and avoids the questions regarding the tracking and profiling of people on the run in the wild.

Bumped because a guest was reading it;
Ed Stafford would be my choice by a country mile. He's been criticised for being difficult to get along with but I get the impression that is simply because he doesn't sugar coat things and doesn't suffer fools gladly....both traits are fine by me.

If we are talking tv survival person then Ed is the man…. However survivorman les Stroud is top dog also…

not much difference between the two, tho Ed likes to be naked something I can relate to 🤭😂

If we are talking tv survival person then Ed is the man…. However survivorman les Stroud is top dog also…

not much difference between the two, tho Ed likes to be naked something I can relate to 🤭😂
Nothing like facing a hoard of hungry Scottish midges sleeping outdoors pissed to the gills and stark bollock naked... You're a brave man and a true Scot Mark...respect.

Getting dumped somewhere 'in nothing but his skin'? Do you mean that literally? I'm confused. Is that guy seriously some kind of nudist survivalist? I actually know some of those camping down river from here..🤣

Alan

Getting dumped somewhere 'in nothing but his skin'? Do you mean that literally? I'm confused. Is that guy seriously some kind of nudist survivalist? I actually know some of those camping down river from here..🤣

Alan

a think he’s a bit of both Alan 😂 all condition to lol, suppose it’s ok in good weather but when cold mine would retreat that quickly I would have an in’y

I think he did it with no clothes or tools to show it can be done. He fashioned grass skirts when he could and in one African episode he had to make flip flops out of tree bark as the ground vegetation had spikes like that Australian grass.

I think he did it with no clothes or tools to show it can be done. He fashioned grass skirts when he could and in one African episode he had to make flip flops out of tree bark as the ground vegetation had spikes like that Australian grass.

made them when he was marooned on that island for 40 odd days, spectacular series, think I’ve watched it about 5 times

I've only ever met Ray Mears, and his attitude and general demeanour as well as his demonstrated wide knowledge, makes me think he's a good bloke to have handy when times get difficult.

A two and a half hour presentation..no drama, machco antics or tales of daring do, just a display of experience, knowledge, skill and genuine concern for the natural world. If ever you get the chance to attend one of his presentations...Go. :thumbsup:

Ps...No 'Telly' so I've never seen any of the others....:rofl:

Depends on your definition of Survival I suppose.

None of the above have actually been in a survival situation to my knowledge or even lived long term in the wilderness. Granted they have knowledge and skills but life's funny that way as 90% of survival is a mental exercise. Personally I'd say any winner of Alone has as much if not more first hand experience than many of the guru types on TV.

Personally I'd say someone like Ranulph Fiennes is a better survivalist than most having living (survived) some pretty extreme situations. Lofty Wiseman too in his forces days or even Thor Heyerdahl. Or are we confusing real survival skills with that magical world of TV land?

Depends on your definition of Survival I suppose.

None of the above have actually been in a survival situation to my knowledge or even lived long term in the wilderness. Granted they have knowledge and skills but life's funny that way as 90% of survival is a mental exercise. Personally I'd say any winner of Alone has as much if not more first hand experience than many of the guru types on TV.

Personally I'd say someone like Ranulph Fiennes is a better survivalist than most having living (survived) some pretty extreme situations. Lofty Wiseman too in his forces days or even Thor Heyerdahl. Or are we confusing real survival skills with that magical world of TV land?

Good Morning Garry you can't class Ed Stafford in the same light as Grills or any of those others. He's proved on numerous occasions that he can pretty much survive with nothing but his naked skin. Also he was the first person to walk the full length of the Amazon rain forest

Back