• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Whole Meal Bre

Joecole

Very Obsessed
@Brambling
My white bread comes out fine but my whole meal will not rise, here's my
recipe
500 grams strong flour
tps sugar
tsp salt
350 mil warm water
tbs oil
Make the dough in the usual way, white usually trebles in size but the whole meal barely moves Why

Wholemeal flour is more difficult to get a good rise going because of the bran content. There are several ways to help this. 1 use and overnight first prove in the fridge, use the 'sponge' method (where you use 50% of the flour and all the liquid leave to rise til bubbly then add the rest of the flour and prove) or use a 50/50 mix of wholemeal and strong white flour. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with my bread. Can't seem to get the proving right either. Normally I have no problem.
Also try using a bit more water as the bran will absorb quite a bit.

Last edited:
Also try using a more water as the bran will absorb quite a bit a wetter dough is your friend here, don't over knead it and let it rise for longer. HTH

Wholemeal flour is more difficult to get a good rise going because of the bran content. There are several ways to help this. 1 use and overnight first prove in the fridge, use the 'sponge' method (where you use 50% of the flour and all the liquid leave to rise til bubbly then add the rest of the flour and prove) or use a 50/50 mix of wholemeal and strong white flour. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with my bread. Can't seem to get the proving right either. Normally I have no problem.
Also try using a bit more water as the bran will absorb quite a bit.
Thanks Bramble I did have some success with the 50 50 mix, I will try your long
prove method

Back