• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Whoopie sling review

gavin

Quite Addicted
Whoopie slings

I have recently upgraded to whoopie slings on my hammock, I am very impressed how they work so I thought I would do a review on them. Once you have got your head around how they work, you can get you required tension in seconds with ease. reasonably priced to about £12

what are whoopie slings?

A whoopie sling is formed with a single piece of hollow core braided rope - usually Amsteel or Dynaglide - to form an adjustable loop. The hollow core rope acts as a constrictor on the piece fed through it self much like a Chinese finger trap. 6-12 inches of line pass back through it self doubled over forming a loop of varying size depending on how long of piece is used. The section that is buried can be pulled shorter or longer to adjust the size of the loop on the end

Hammock guys have only in the past few years cannibalized the whoopie sling from the Aurborist industry, where they have been used for years to form adjustable attachment points high in trees.

how do they work?

The first picture shows the tree hugger around the tree with a Carabiner on, with the end of the loop of the whoopie sling attached to that.

DSC_0303.JPG

The second picture shows me taking the tension out of the hammock. In order to adjust the whoopie sling you must do this, as it will not adjust under load.

DSC_0300.JPG

The third picture shows me adjusting the whoopie sling to give me more tension at one end and raise the hammock.Then repeat at the other end of your hammock to your required tension and hanging level. You simply just pull the lose end back on its self towards the loop end

DSC_0301.JPG

The fourth picture shows me losing off the whoopie sling to lower the hammock at either end. You simply take the tension out of the hammock put to fingers inside the loop and slide them down towards the hammock.

DSC_0302.JPG

Back