• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Why a poncho-tarp is a valuable peace of gear

Nessunego

Slightly Talkative
I really like poncho-tarps as I find them really suitable for ultralight backpacking. A poncho-tarp can protect you and your backpack from the rain and you can set it up as a shelter, too. Add the capability to use it as a rain water collector through the hole of the hood and you have a really multipourpose item which saves you a lot of weight and space. For day hikes or overnights in not too inclement weather, I find a poncho-tarp to be the best solution.

Ah, but if you're using it to collect water how's it keeping you dry ;)

šŸ˜… I think that when you collect water you put your waterbottle under the hole where water comes in and when your waterbottle is full you tie up the hood again and you're dry.

I really like poncho-tarps as I find them really suitable for ultralight backpacking. A poncho-tarp can protect you and your backpack from the rain and you can set it up as a shelter, too. Add the capability to use it as a rain water collector through the hole of the hood and you have a really multipourpose item which saves you a lot of weight and space. For day hikes or overnights in not too inclement weather, I find a poncho-tarp to be the best solution.
Hi mate are we on the right conception of poncho -tarp ?? be being X military 58 pattern issue lol nothing wrong with it but it had is limitations of keeping you dry in a basher situation, never thought of the rain water collection ;) nice one

Having slept under the issue 58 hooded poncho and moved on through various more modern tarps I wouldn't go back.

Also if you are using it as a tarp to protect your kit then it can't be your waterproof for camp chores.

I'd take a more Modern non hooded tarp and waterproofs every time.

I am living in Germany and here a ponchotarp is together with a bivi bag like the Snugpack SF the best option for trekking in the woods.

Even if you carry a light rain jacket on top in cold and very rainy conditions, the Ponchotarp is drying on the man. You never have to pack it in whet.
You can dry it at a bakers shop at the hook, while you are drinking a coffee.

And modern light weight ponchos are incredible light. 300 g isn't impossible to find. together with the 340g Snugpack SF bivi bag that's nearly nothing for the shelter!
I use 0,2 mm lines from Decathlon, the weigt of 10 meters is only 20 g.

I love this modern times!

Which is the largest ponchotarp on the british market?

I am looking for some thing, that is larger than the Exped Bivi Poncho UL.

My experience of them is that they are a compromise at whatever you want them to do.

They're not as good as waterproofs for keeping you dry and importantly keeping the wind off which affects body temp.

As a shelter they are harder (but not impossible)to keep watertight but tend to be smaller than a corresponding tarp because they are sized for the man rather than as a shelter.

Surely it depends on what one is doing. I like poncho-tarps for one day hike or overnight. Should I make multiple days trips and spend a lot of time camping, I would bring a full sized 3x3 meters tarp.

The old 58 pattern was a heavy sweat bag.......the condensation build up with prolonged use was worse than the rain at times for getting you damp.

Design and materials have advanced a lot........thank goodness :D

Been using the "Snugpack Enhanced Patrol Poncho" for a while now and it has proved its worth.

The Snugpack has a few nice features......it is a smock design......there are thumb loops on the sleeves.........sinch cord hood........and zipped neck........storm flap map pocket........and hand warmer pocket behind the map pocket.

Weighs roughly 360grms.....has its own stuff sack and measures 20 X 10 CM packed........covers you and your pack.

Would like to have seen the addition of a drawcord waist and also a drawcord skirt and zippered armpits.

Unlike the other designs, you can get away with not taking waterproofs along if you did not want to.

They say it can be used as an emergency shelter.....I have looked......and I think the shelter is you actually wearing it....no option to tie out really.

1519635830123.png

Not everyone's cup of tea but personally I find it ideal for what I want.

Not everyone's cup of tea but personally I find it ideal for what I want.

Can't argue with that but I for me it isn't fulfilling the role of shelter tarp.

The key poin for me is that like most things in life ponchos are a compromise. The snugpack one you're using is effectively a big baggy raincoat suited to keeping the elements at bay on a long walk rather than a multipurpose wearable shelter as suggested by the OP.

for me separate well fitting waterproofs are better suited to keeping you dry and warm as part of a layering system (breathable and vented to prevent overheating but able to seal up to keep out wind chill), are more comfortable to wear and are genuinely multifunction.

Bivi bags are great but don't replace a shelter as I challange anyone to transition from wet clothes into a dry sleeping bag in a bivi bag in the rain without getting everything wet.

If your shelter is also your waterproofs there is a point when it can't do both at once; when you need to leave the shelter to get more firewood or go for a wee or when your packing your kit up and need to take it down being easy to think of prime examples.

You're right about the '58 pattern ones being toss!

Horse for courses however; if it suits, use it.

Best thing to do with the 58 pattern poncho take the hood out, have it patched with the same material waterproof the seams and you have yourself a reasonable tarp, have spent many a happy hour under one dry

The secret, why Americans and Germans like ponchos, is simply, that they work better in warm conditions.

A breathable rain suit works well up to 16 to maximum 20*C.

Between 18 and 25*C a poncho is a good option. Often better than a rain suit.

If it is warmer, you usually are glad tho get whet.

Not surely.

I am a German. Normally I am the one who doesn't understand British people.

(especially, if they are from Scotland)

;0)

I expect for just summer when you're not really expecting cold rain a poncho tarp is the best thing. But it's a different bag of nails in driving wind, cold and rain. Waterproofs would be my way to go, in fact i may stay in and read Kephart beside the fire.

Compared with weights of 1985 you now a days can carry rain suit and poncho without any problems.
In colder weather I often take them both.

Back