• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Why a poncho-tarp is a valuable peace of gear

I carry a set of military waterproofs but rarely use them as they're very sweaty to wear, I certainly couldn't work in them.

Yes. In the open rain jacket I can work. If I close it, every rain jacket and especially every rain trousers become sweaty.
That is only useful for sitting around and short distance walks in flat country.

I usually carry the rain trousers as spare trousers in cold times with me. Around 0*C I can wear them. But in the summer I use open jacket or poncho and polyester-cotton mix trousers if it rains.

For me the waterproofs are most useful for during the combination of wind and rain to prevent wind chill while up in the hills. The wind feels like it will cut right through you sometimes when you're wet and tired.

Indeed!

Most waterproof breathing fabrics are recommended only up to 16*C.

They stop transporting moisture if outside the clothing the temperature is over 16*C.

So a Gore-Tex rain suit is made for autumn, winter and spring.

The German Army uses currently a Gore-Tex rain suit and a Gore-Tex Poncho!

The Defcon 5 poncho is original currently italian army equipment.

The French army doesn't give the soldiers ponchos, but they buy private the OPEX ponchos, which are allowed to use under most conditions. (Crazy french System!)

OPEX Poncho
Camouflage Centre Europe (CCE)

A bit to bright outside France in my opinion.
Lightweight, not the best but OK.

Must admit after watching a few vids about the snugpak poncho I bought one, but found it a wee bit big for a wee short assed scotsman.... Now using as a groundsheetšŸ˜

So far I understood, the Snugpack poncho isn't a normal NATO poncho-tarp isn't it?

I prefere NATO ponchos, because as Tarp they can protect the head area of the bivvy bag and in the morning I can dry this tarp on the man when I am walking.

In the summer it isn't necessary to take an additional rain suit with and so this multi use equipment saves round about 1 kg weight in the ruck sack compared with 3x3m tarp and rain suit.

The Defcon 5 poncho for example weights only 400g and has a NATO stock number.

My OPEX poncho weights mor or less the same. I forgot to throw it on the kitchen scales last time, but its around 400g, I think.

But the Defcon 5 is a bit larger (165cm) and can be used as a back up for the bivvy bag too. Most other modern ponchos are with 145 to 150 cm a bit to small to use them as a bivvy bag and do not protect the arms as good as the old original NATO ponchos, which all had 165cm.
I find this point very important!

Back