• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Why an axe is my favourite knife

Nessunego

Slightly Talkative
I frequently read posts of people asking for the best knife. I've long searched my best knife, too. I ended up finding that for me, the best knife is a small axe. Decades ago axes were a lot more popular, but in the last decades they are far less common, while full tang big knives are on the top of the list. I think that this can be caused by the fact that an increasing number of people have never even held an axe in their hands, while the knife is a tool everyone is familiar with. I prefer an axe as my main cutting tool because it can do everything a knife can do, plus a lot more. But I understand that, in order to do so, you need to know very well how to use an axe, which for most people is not the case, being them totally unfamiliar with this tool. So, I think that this is one of the main reasons for a lack of popularity of axes compared to big knives.
As for me, I love and use a lot: a GB Hand Axe, a GB Small Forest Axe and a Hultafors Classic Trekking Axe. I usually bring a Victorinox Farmer with me, too, but I've never used it so far (2 years...). I've done everything with my axes, from feathersticks to full shelter building. They have never failed me. I love knives, too, but more from an artistic point of view (waiting for my Malanika Puukko, 13 months left to wait...).

Attachments

• 2018-02-21_10.10.41.jpg
    2018-02-21_10.10.41.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 349
Hi Ness.

like you I have changed my way of thinking and will now be using a small hand axe as my go-to cutting implement.
So much you can do with one around camp.....from carving to food preparation and general camp admin.
I will still carry a small multi-pocketknife on me.

Why is it all go for G.B this axe G.B that axe lol there are far better axes out there for less money and just as good if not probably better ??

Why is it all go for G.B this axe G.B that axe lol there are far better axes out there for less money and just as good if not probably better ??
Surely for the money there are axes almost as good. I find my Hultafors to be at the same level of GB. GB axes were a gift and I find them really good.

Surely for the money there are axes almost as good. I find my Hultafors to be at the same level of GB. GB axes were a gift and I find them really good.
Spot on Hultafors just as good if not better for a fraction of the price, but its a ooooooo iv'e got a GB do ya homework there's better out there no offence mate (y)

Hi Ness.

like you I have changed my way of thinking and will now be using a small hand axe as my go-to cutting implement.
So much you can do with one around camp.....from carving to food preparation and general camp admin.
I will still carry a small multi-pocketknife on me.
I totally agree. I also carry my SAK with me as a backup tool and, for the small add in weight, I will continue to carry it. But for now, my SAK is brand newšŸ˜‚

I also love my axes and have to agree, when used correctly theres very little that can't be done with one. Even peeled tattys with one before, just for the fun of it though.
Rob, to me it's GB because it is inherently a hand made axe and a superb quality product at a not too bad price when you consider the knowledge and history that goes into making an axe by hand. But then again I also have axes that was forged to my spec so I am predisposed to custom and hand made tools.

I also love my axes and have to agree, when used correctly theres very little that can't be done with one. Even peeled tattys with one before, just for the fun of it though.
Rob, to me it's GB because it is inherently a hand made axe and a superb quality product at a not too bad price when you consider the knowledge and history that goes into making an axe by hand. But then again I also have axes that was forged to my spec so I am predisposed to custom and hand made tools.

I think it's knowing the axe is hand forged from quality steel by a craftsman that gives the axe the feel........and commands the respect it has earned and deserves.
It is a pleasure to use and own.

All do not go for GB axes........as already stated others are available.
As with everything people have choices with regards to what they want to spend.....and on what......who are we to mock them or ridicule?

In no way was it meant to mock or ridicule anyone, that most folk go for a G.B axe under the misconception that they are hand forged (sorry) they are die struck then finished on a linisher, if you would like to go down the road of a hand forged axe then Josh Burrel and Nic Westerman are a few that make them, a few good old names to consider to look at if contemplating buying an axe Elwell, Gilpin, Brades, Whitehouse and Sorby.
I also own a G.B its ok says what it does on the tin but not my most used also have a Dav Bud, S.A.C and a few of the ones already mentioned.
Attached is Photos of the machine GB "hand forge" there axes with ?

Attachments

• GB 1.png
    GB 1.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 225
  • GB 2.png
    GB 2.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 147
I've used axes all my life as I'm a carpenter ( or joiner depending on where you live) and I'd rarely be without one . I've used one in lieu of a small knife , I've shaped timber , scribed skirtings and even eased doors with my axe. As to whether an axe is better than a knife for me depends on one simple thing , practice . As I've said I had an axe with me everyday and used it nearly everyday but I've had much less practice with a knife .i have several axes ,off various makes and even a side axe made from a lorry leaf spring. I was gifted a very rough looking sanvik axe some time ago , it looked as if someone had used it to chop concrete but after a little work and a new handle it's now one of my favourite axes to use.

Back