• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Why is it?

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I keep reading about Bannock and I've seen blokes on YouTube making it. Why do they use plain flour and baking powder and not just self raising flour? I never tried to make Bannock..tried making bread once when living on my boat. Smelled lovely, golden brown crust, inside like a Thermolite building block, had to smash it up with a claw hammer.... :lol:

I use self raising flour with a little milk powder add water till its a dough then throw in some raisens or chocolate shaved from a bar chocolate... Lay out flat like a pan cake and slow cook over the fire till brown... Then cover in lashings of butter while hot mmmhhh

This is the last one I made.
IMG_20190730_132229_BURST002.jpg

That sounds simple enough, I thought there was something special about the Baking Powder recipe. I shall have a bash at making Bannock at home this weekend....

I'll be happy if it comes out like that... :thumbsup:

I cook it in a nesting Billy can. A couple of stones in the bottom of a large Billy, then some water and put the bannock mix in a smaller Billy into the bigger one and a lid on the big Billy. Hope that's understandable. Steam bakes it.

Reactions: Bam
Understood but never heard of that method, could try it with my mess tins I suppose. I'm not flush with pots and pans though...not required at my standard of cooking... :lol:

I've just watched a bloke use self raising flour...then he added some baking powder !!! :confused:

Back