• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild Camping / Backpacking weekend Gunnerside Gill, Yorkshire Dales .

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Travelled over to Swadale in the Yorkshire Dales for a two night backpacking trip with @Bopdude and a couple of other camping companions.
Parked up in the village of Swadale and set off up the dale towards Gunnerside which is the site of longstanding lead mining . Many of the buildings remain and add to the atmospheric walk

As usual our attempts to be lightweight were thwarted by a love of beer /whisky and food ........ I started off the 14 KG ( two days food and a litre of water ) and @Bopdude was even heavier ( beer ;) :whistle: ). As you can see the route follows the Gill so water was plentiful and gave our water filter systems a good run out .

The weather was lovely walking in but the nigh time temperatures dropped below freezing on both nights .

Her is a few pictures of the trip .

Gun1.jpg

Gun2.jpg

Gun3.jpg

Gun7.jpg

Gun6.jpg

Gun8.jpg

Gun9.jpg

Gun10.jpg

Gun11.jpg

Gun12.jpg

Gun13.jpg

Gun14.jpg

Gun15.jpg

Gun16.jpg

Gun17.jpg

Gun18.jpg

Gun19.jpg

Gun20.jpg

Lovely spot and pictures Rob :thumbsup:

Was this the first trip out with your new tent?......if so.....how do you rate the tent......a Langsham wasn't it?
A nice selection of other tents there too by the looks of things.

Plenty of water on site....lovely vista......perfect :)

Lovely spot and pictures Rob :thumbsup:

Was this the first trip out with your new tent?......if so.....how do you rate the tent......a Langsham wasn't it?
A nice selection of other tents there too by the looks of things.

Plenty of water on site....lovely vista......perfect :)

I haven't got a Lanshan yet Bill , its on the list , although there are now other contenders :whistle:

I was in an Alpkit Ordos 2 ( the red one ) , @Bopdude was in his OEX Pfoxx 2 , other guys had a Lightwave sigma ( single skin ) and a lanshan 1 .

The ordos performed well for a mid price tent .... The lightwave is a £600 jobbie :snug:

Wow, that is just sooo beautiful...................
14 kg with water is to my mind utterly miraculous.......I don't dare add alcohol to my pack at 18 kg!!!:(

Lovely pics, glad you had a good time.
Either someone was carrying a drone or you threw the camera up pretty high? ;)

Travelled over to Swadale in the Yorkshire Dales for a two night backpacking trip with @Bopdude and a couple of other camping companions.
Parked up in the village of Swadale and set off up the dale towards Gunnerside which is the site of longstanding lead mining . Many of the buildings remain and add to the atmospheric walk

As usual our attempts to be lightweight were thwarted by a love of beer /whisky and food ........ I started off the 14 KG ( two days food and a litre of water ) and @Bopdude was even heavier ( beer ;) :whistle: ). As you can see the route follows the Gill so water was plentiful and gave our water filter systems a good run out .

The weather was lovely walking in but the nigh time temperatures dropped below freezing on both nights .

Her is a few pictures of the trip .

View attachment 113164

View attachment 113165

View attachment 113166

View attachment 113169

View attachment 113168

View attachment 113172

View attachment 113174

View attachment 113175

View attachment 113176

View attachment 113177

View attachment 113178

View attachment 113179

View attachment 113180

View attachment 113181

View attachment 113182

View attachment 113183

View attachment 113184

View attachment 113185
Beautiful photos Rob, brings back memories of all the happy hours I spent walking my dog up there and fossicking round the old mines looking for Galena which I used to melt down and turn into fishing weights

Back