• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

wild camping on dartmoor

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Once again the moronic idiots have shown their true colours ,so called wild camper left signs indicating about 70 tents fire pits and god knows what else so now the authorities are considering banning wild camping on the moor

Last edited:
We........ and others......... are experiencing the same problems and feral attitudes and behaviour on the beaches as well.
It does not help that the public toilets remain closed and locked :rolleyes:
Local councils KNOW the beaches are going to be rammed.....yet still they do not supply enough bins to cope.......we see it most years.
They then moan and bleet when people make an effort by leaving rubbish next to FULL bins.....the seagulls have a field day......rubbish all over from ripped open bags

Joe,

if its any consolation people are the same the world over. I cant understand why so many have so little respect for our natural environment. Especially those who go camping to enjoy that environment. You'd think they'd want to protect it and their priviledges by doing the right thing.

We have the same problem exactly. I have fires lit by hunters and fishers every weekend in parched dry woodlands along my western boundary! I even overheard a bloke on the UHF a few weeks ago telling his mate he'd found a great spot and all it needed was a fire to clear it up and then they could come back and camp in a few weeks! Not sure if he was somewhere on my place or a neighbours...😖

Who are these people?

Alan

Joe,

if its any consolation people are the same the world over. I cant understand why so many have so little respect for our natural environment. Especially those who go camping to enjoy that environment. You'd think they'd want to protect it and their priviledges by doing the right thing.

We have the same problem exactly. I have fires lit by hunters and fishers every weekend in parched dry woodlands along my western boundary! I even overheard a bloke on the UHF a few weeks ago telling his mate he'd found a great spot and all it needed was a fire to clear it up and then they could come back and camp in a few weeks! Not sure if he was somewhere on my place or a neighbours...😖

Who are these people?

Alan
Alan these people are the dregs, what really gets me angry is the fact that they advertise themselves as wild campers. One motto we have on this forum is We Leave No Trace. When we have our summer meet in a few days yes there might be signs left like flattened vegetation where our bashes and tents were set up but within 2 or 3 days it will all be as it should be

People just seem to have no idea how to behave when they're visiting someone else's back yard, what is worse is that they don't seem to care. Someone else will pick up after them or put out their fires.
You all know my opinion on this subject.

It’s laziness and lack of respect pure and simple. I use to fined land owners arrogant but that’s because I was young and naive, now I completely understand when I’m questioned on my arrival or mid camp. Muppets so they are.

People just seem to have no idea how to behave when they're visiting someone else's back yard, what is worse is that they don't seem to care. Someone else will pick up after them or put out their fires.
You all know my opinion on this subject.
Yep they are killing it for the wild campers round the Scottish Lochs and now the moors. Soon the gates will be closed to everyone who doesn't have access to private land

I'm going to start my own YouTube channel. Instead of scores of people producing videos where they sojourn to the woods and wild places and knock up a quick 'Bush Craft' 5 course Thai Curry with their cast iron cooking pots, instead of just enjoying nature and leaving it undisturbed,
my videos will be about being bitten by Adders, finding headless 'Campers' and strange night creatures which shred tents and tarps before munching the occupants.

Given time, these new found wannabe Wild Campers may be deterred from leaving their cosy keyboards. Whether others agree or not, I feel that the YouTube influence is not without some blame here. It doesn't excuse the behaviour but YouTube has a mighty influence on the Brainless few, witness the oft published " Look at me doing 75 mph wheelies down the 30 mph limit urban street. And you can even see my number plate too..aint I clever? "

I'm going to start my own YouTube channel. Instead of scores of people producing videos where they sojourn to the woods and wild places and knock up a quick 'Bush Craft' 5 course Thai Curry with their cast iron cooking pots, instead of just enjoying nature and leaving it undisturbed,
my videos will be about being bitten by Adders, finding headless 'Campers' and strange night creatures which shred tents and tarps before munching the occupants.

Given time, these new found wannabe Wild Campers may be deterred from leaving their cosy keyboards. Whether others agree or not, I feel that the YouTube influence is not without some blame here. It doesn't excuse the behaviour but YouTube has a mighty influence on the Brainless few, witness the oft published " Look at me doing 75 mph wheelies down the 30 mph limit urban street. And you can even see my number plate too..aint I clever? "
Now you've bloody well scared me into staying at home

Edited 😁

In fairness to Youtube, bumholes are going to be bumholes Certainly the boys I watch on Youtube make a point of being seen to tidy up and mentioning 'leaving it as you found it'. There were bumhole’y’oos before Youtube came along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Bam, I'm a fan and regular watcher of quite a few of the genuine posters. It's just that the Brainless Few don't register the ' Leave no trace ' advice. There have always been such people but I don't recall such numbers pre... I'm a Bush Craft Influencer days... and video access.

35 years ago, Dartmoor except near the car parks, was for Prisoners locked up in Princetown, Royal Marines yomping around sweating buckets, and Dartmoor Ponies. :rofl:

Really pleased you blokes see it from both sides. Nobody really 'owns' land. Especially where we live -among the oldest living culture on the planet.

My wife and I consider ourselves stewards of the land for our lifetime and then we'll hand it on to the next generation hopefully in better
condition than we found it in. We want people to enjoy it and learn to love it as we do, but we fight a never ending battle to protect it from destruction by fires and weeds introduced by people who want to come in to shoot the wildlife.

Its no exaggeration to say we see the districts we cant protect destroyed through frequent hot fires, the composition of vegetation is now different to where we do successfully keep fire out. Its heartbreaking.

We have wildlife care groups frequently out releasing animals here. About three years back a group came out and carefully released about 20 baby possums established in little tree boxes. About a week later a hot fire went through that forest. Would have burned them all. Illegal entry, and the fire was probably deliberately lit to start a bushfire.

Anybody who respects nature, local culture and takes their trash with them is always welcome here. We want to educate them about how important our envronment is and how important we protect it.

Sorry about the rant fellas. Im not a tree hugging hippy! I just care about it.

Alan

I agree Bam, I'm a fan and regular watcher of quite a few of the genuine posters. It's just that the Brainless Few don't register the ' Leave no trace ' advice. There have always been such people but I don't recall such numbers pre... I'm a Bush Craft Influencer days... and video access.

35 years ago, Dartmoor except near the car parks, was for Prisoners locked up in Princetown, Royal Marines yomping around sweating buckets, and Dartmoor Ponies. :rofl:

There's also more stuff on TV, Julia Bradbury marching around the place (I'd follow that view 😍 ), there's a general trend to encourage folk to enjoy 'the great outdoors'. More people means we're going to get more of those 'bumholes' too. The MBA had a bit of a quandary about it a while back, lots more people going up the hills and using bothies, not everyone respecting them. Do you make it a 'super secret gang, you can only get in if you know the password' type thing or do you accept that more people were finding out about them and then of course there was the Bothy Bible which opened it out even further. It is a bit soul destroying when you stumble across a bit of land that these cretins have trashed, even if it is just leaving their crap behind but its what's going to happen as more people get into going to these places. I'd hate it if Scotland went down the route of banning wild camping, there are already a few areas that its seasonally restricted because of the idiots and it would cost a fortune to police it all. I don't know the answers, no proper site will want the groups of clowns who will be the ones acting this way so they go to the middle of nowhere to carry on.

A think you’ve hit the nail on the head there @Bam they’re finding more remote places and because no one is likely to stumble by it gives them a free run to do whatever. Even the uk is to big to police areas like this. We could hang them ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Yep, you're right, it's publicity in general and just too many people. What we need is a thinning out, a Virus or something...Ah! Hang on a minute.... :rofl:
No we need all the idiots to eat something nasty then spend the rest of their first night with a severe dose of the squirts

A think you’ve hit the nail on the head there @Bam they’re finding more remote places and because no one is likely to stumble by it gives them a free run to do whatever. Even the uk is to big to police areas like this. We could hang them ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ah, an Old Testament approach, I like it.... round up the posse Sheriff.

Yep, you're right, it's publicity in general and just too many people. What we need is a thinning out, a Virus or something...Ah! Hang on a minute.... :rofl:

One that's genetically engineered to target those that our society cheat Mother Nature' of. :ld-smile:

Back