• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

wild camping on dartmoor

Ah, an Old Testament approach, I like it.... round up the posse Sheriff.

One that's genetically engineered to target those that our society cheat Mother Nature' of. :ld-smile:
Bring back hanging or better still transport them to trumpland

Bring back hanging or better still transport them to trumpland

I would genuinely love to be able to stand up in court and say to the judge "I'm not asking for an execution Your Honour, merely deportation to the colonies...". :lol:

So what was it like Joe ?? :rofl:

I would genuinely love to be able to stand up in court and say to the judge "I'm not asking for an execution Your Honour, merely deportation to the colonies...". :lol:

So what was it like Joe ?? :rofl:
I didn't like the food so I came home

Really pleased you blokes see it from both sides. Nobody really 'owns' land. Especially where we live -among the oldest living culture on the planet.

My wife and I consider ourselves stewards of the land for our lifetime and then we'll hand it on to the next generation hopefully in better
condition than we found it in. We want people to enjoy it and learn to love it as we do, but we fight a never ending battle to protect it from destruction by fires and weeds introduced by people who want to come in to shoot the wildlife.

Its no exaggeration to say we see the districts we cant protect destroyed through frequent hot fires, the composition of vegetation is now different to where we do successfully keep fire out. Its heartbreaking.

We have wildlife care groups frequently out releasing animals here. About three years back a group came out and carefully released about 20 baby possums established in little tree boxes. About a week later a hot fire went through that forest. Would have burned them all. Illegal entry, and the fire was probably deliberately lit to start a bushfire.

Anybody who respects nature, local culture and takes their trash with them is always welcome here. We want to educate them about how important our envronment is and how important we protect it.

Sorry about the rant fellas. Im not a tree hugging hippy! I just care about it.

Alan
If that was a rant it was a very quiet one Alan, I only have a few acres and by comparison they're easy to protect but I still get more than a few "bumholes" causing damage, littering or thieving. I'm not against people enjoying the countryside but I wish they would respect it (and the people that live in it.)
A few suggestions of a quiet cull on these chavs appearing in this thread...:sneaky::whistle:...tempting but.....

In some parts of Aussie you have to buy a parks pass to go bush in major parks. Its almost like a licence.

You have to pay for it and get a pile of information about regulations. Thins out the idiots and lets parkies keep tabs on who goes in. Does something like that exist on the moors or Scotland? Would it help?

Alan

In some parts of Aussie you have to buy a parks pass to go bush in major parks. Its almost like a licence.

You have to pay for it and get a pile of information about regulations. Thins out the idiots and lets parkies keep tabs on who goes in. Does something like that exist on the moors or Scotland? Would it help?

Alan

Nothing like that exists in Scotland Alan, just the usual, permits for fishing and such. Am not entirely sure it would help if there was buddy

Nothing like that exists in Scotland Alan, just the usual, permits for fishing and such. Am not entirely sure it would help if there was buddy

This could be a way forward.......in its infancy at the moment on a trial basis....."good old Scotland".....hopefully the rest of the country will adopt it.

Permits could be the way to go......use the revenue to help fund more resources and Rangers in the more popular beauty spots and Moors......and wild spaces.
Extremely difficult to monitor and keep track of.

Issuing drones to rangers might be a help......and could cover large areas to pin point troubled areas....a Birdseye view of potential trouble.
Onboard camera to gather evidence.

Unless the powers that be take a firmer stance and start issuing hefty fines.....confiscation of kit..... and out and out bans on the abusers........little will change....sadly.

The permits would also save a great deal of time for mountain rescue as they would have access to a some sort of record of people who intended to be out overnight as well as those who did not intend (and were not equipped) to camp who were still out because they were injured or lost. One of the biggest problems with inexperienced hikers is that they don't stick to routes or schedules and often have no check-in to let people know that they're safe. Mobile phones cannot be relied on in parts of Wales and Scotland, this comes as a surprise to some people for some reason.
The major difference between Scotland and the rest of the U.K. Is that Scotland has presumed right of way over any and all land that fulfills certain criteria while England, Wales and N Ireland have designated footpaths and public access land marked on OS maps with a wide orange border.

Last edited:
The permits would also save a great deal of time for mountain rescue as they would have access to a some sort of record of people who intended to be out overnight as well as those who did not intend (and were not equipped) to camp who were still out because they were injured or lost. One of the biggest problems with inexperienced hikers is that they don't stick to routes or schedules and often have no check-in to let people know that they're safe. Mobile phones cannot be relied on in parts of Wales and Scotland, this comes as a surprise to some people for some reason.
The major difference between Scotland and the rest of the U.K. Is that Scotland has presumed right of way over any and all land that fulfills certain criteria while England, Wales and N Ireland have designated footpaths and public access land marked on OS maps with a wide orange border.
I watched a programme the other evening about a man and his 12 year old daughter who wanted to climb a glacier , luckily the 10 year old daughter decided to stay in the hotel a move that ultimately saved their live. People knew where they were going but what they didn't know was the fact that they got lost and spent about 10 hours walking in the wrong direction. Late that afternoon the younger girl got worried and phoned her grandmother back in UK who immediately contacted the Italian authorities who in turn contacted the local mountain rescue who spent the night searching the route that father and daughter should have taken. Anyway dad decided that they should back track and eventually they were spotted by a rescue helicopter
The reason I'm saying this is yes anyone going trekking in unfamiliar territory should always leave a route plan with someone sensible which is brilliant if you don't get lost

Back