• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild Camping Suggestions

ScouseJamie1995

Slightly Talkative
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section but I'm going away with a couple of friends at the end of the month and we are planning on wild camping somewhere up north or wales. Hoping someone could maybe give us an idea of where we could head that is fairly easy to navigate due to one of us currently having a little ankle injury, so not to much hiking 😄

Hi Jamie.

Not wanting to pee on your bonfire......but if a member of your group is carrying an injury.....however small at the moment......you guys maybe as well to book onto a cheap and cheerful registered campsite for a couple of days?
Still have the experience of being under canvas and enjoying outdoor life with less fear of your friends injury possibly getting worse...... being close to vehicles and help if needed :thumbsup:

There will be other opportunities once he/she has fully recovered :thumbsup:

Which ever you decide on......hope you have a good camp and share some pictures with us.

Loads of options but most will involve walking to get away from the crowds ......

Wild camping in UK National Parks is not permitted , permission from Landowner is required .
( not being patronising , just useful to say from a defensible recording position )

Wild camping etiquette suggests that If you do have express permission for the landowner and choose to wild camp, you should always:

• Camp above the highest fell wall, well away from towns, villages and lake shores.
  • Leave no litter - this includes not burying any litter and removing other people's if you find it.
  • Don't light any fires, even if there is evidence that fires might have been lit.
  • Stay for only one night.
  • Keep groups very small - only one or two tents.
  • Camp as unobtrusively as possible with inconspicuous tents which blend in.
  • Leave the campsite as you would want to find it.
  • Carry out everything you carried in.
  • Carry out tampons and sanitary towels. Burying them doesn't work as animals dig them up again.
  • Choose a dry pitch rather than digging drainage ditches around a tent or moving boulders.
  • Perform toilet duties at least 30 metres from water and bury the results with a trowel.
  • At all times, help protect the environment and respect other visitors and communities.
Wherever you pitch, please remember that the landowners or their representatives have the legal right to order you to break camp and move on.

In the last few years there have been a few horror stories and Wild Campers have gotten something of a bad name . I find its best to keep a low profile , follow the above code , don't advertise your presence and remain polite and respectful if challenged . I wild camp regularly and have not had a problem .

Good luck :thumbsup:

@ScouseJamie1995 , assuming your forum name relates to your geographic location and bearing in mind you have an injured team member you could consider a coastal camp up or down the coast from Merseyside , lots of coast line and sand dunes along the Fylde Coast and south towards Kimnel Bay ........

Reactions: lol
And if you want to go 'wild' camping on a campsite that you can drive to, you might want to have a look at this:
I have never been there myself but I have seen many good reports.

And if you want to go 'wild' camping on a campsite that you can drive to, you might want to have a look at this:
I have never been there myself but I have seen many good reports.

That place has been recommended to me also .......

@ScouseJamie1995 , assuming your forum name relates to your geographic location and bearing in mind you have an injured team member you could consider a coastal camp up or down the coast from Merseyside , lots of coast line and sand dunes along the Fylde Coast and south towards Kimnel Bay ........
Forget wild camping on the Formby point coastline from north of the Mersey as far as the Ribble estuary. It’s very heavily patrolled by a dedicated staff of wardens and rangers who all communicate with each other and there are no safe natural water sources. The Loggerheads area around Mold in North Wales is beautiful and there is greater access to natural spring water, if you check an OS map of the area you can usually find a nice spot. The problem is that Wales has become very crowded over the last couple of years.
You could also consider using a bothy.

Last edited:
Back