• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild camping.... Your mad

Oot

Quite Addicted
Often get this.... Don't you get scared, you must be off your head, cold, beasties, dirt,.... Strange noise in the night..... Zombies.... Leave most of them behind in Glasgow..... I mean do I look mad......

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_100205.jpg
    IMG_20190406_100205.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 157
Been doing it on and off since I was a teenager so it doesn't get a thought. I've slept in all sorts of places including parks when feeling a little 'under the weather' :whistle: Going out with gear is a step up from some of the unexpected overnighters in the past.

Still get the 'rolling eyes' from the missus and a few female friends when I'm telling them I'm heading out wild camping. I've tried to explain I'm taking gear and its not exactly my first rodeo but some just don't get it which is fair enough, each to their own.

Yep, I get that too and tbh I'm actually less inclined to go out in the warmer weather however with family and work commitments I've not been out for AAAAGES and it's doing my head in. Must caaaaaaamp! (soon)

I get that and I've got mates who will say "isn't it too warm for you to go away". Its a different experience in good weather to the bad weather and I enjoy both but probably prefer the challenge of the bad weather. Nae midgies either which is a bonus too. Sometimes you just 'hear the voices' though and need to get away, I'm there myself at the moment.

Neeeeeed to get oot myself...:cool: won’t be for a wile yet tho :thumbsdown:....and yup I to have experienced the rolling eyes and “are you mad” comments..... mainly from the mother and wife:evileye: still if they understood why... then I would be camping with them:sad: and that my friends would most definitely be:poo: ...so happy days they think we’re a tad aff our nuts;) am quite happy to be solo in the forests or loch side with a rod....scratching my life sack with every intentions of doing naff all....can’t even remember the last time I put a hook on the end of the line;):D

I think a lot of it is to escape from the 'wife and life', don't blame you Mark. I prefer to do it socially but I'm happy to get away on my own too, certainly for the shorter trips. I've got a shed to build this weekend but I'm hoping to get away for one night this weekend, got my new blanky to road test for starters.

Been told I'm mad over the years, but for me it's therapy in a way, even been asked in the past if it's a cover to have an affair or go dogging!! My passion for the wilderness has caused arguments, even ended friendships and relationships, but therein lies the reason I love getting out. To escape humanity and the rat race for a while. No we are not mad, just most people don't understand

I think a lot of it is to escape from the 'wife and life', don't blame you Mark. I prefer to do it socially but I'm happy to get away on my own too, certainly for the shorter trips. I've got a shed to build this weekend but I'm hoping to get away for one night this weekend, got my new blanky to road test for starters.

If you don't get that shed up before you escape....... The test of the blankey could be long and extensive 😜😀

Or is that your cunning plan :thumbsup:

A lot of people who knock it have not actually tried it :rolleyes:

I don't blame them... You lot must be mad 🤣🤔

If you don't get that shed up before you escape....... The test of the blankey could be long and extensive 😜😀

Or is that your cunning plan :thumbsup:

Um, I'll plead the Fifth...... ;)

I've also got a trip to Dundee and a game of football to watch tomorrow so depending on what time the shed turns up today it might be Sunday, I'm a big fan of 'manana' so its all good.

I'm off in June, 4 day birthday trip.not exactly wild camping more a few days sat by a carp lake with rod in one hand and beer in the other. Time to relax

Sounds ideal Joe.......hope the weather is kind and you enjoy your Birthday trip....of course we need lots of pictures when you are there.
Will you be tenting again?

Don't forget your spare bags and pads.......MATE :sneaky: 🤣

Sounds ideal Joe.......hope the weather is kind and you enjoy your Birthday trip....of course we need lots of pictures when you are there.
Will you be tenting again?

Don't forget your spare bags and pads.......MATE :sneaky: 🤣
Yes in the tent and catching the same big carp I caught last time

Not done a whole lot of wild camping, but I do get strange looks from folks when I say I'm off camping on my own. Being an old woman, I don't feel safe to wild camp, but I do still like the quieter and more basic campisites.
@Joecole , my idea of heaven, hope you have a great weekend. I'm planning a little weekender here
Pillaton Hall Farm – Camping and Caravaning in Staffordshire countryside They have some great mixed lakes,

Not done a whole lot of wild camping, but I do get strange looks from folks when I say I'm off camping on my own. Being an old woman, I don't feel safe to wild camp, but I do still like the quieter and more basic campisites.
@Joecole , my idea of heaven, hope you have a great weekend. I'm planning a little weekender here
Pillaton Hall Farm – Camping and Caravaning in Staffordshire countryside They have some great mixed lakes,
Looks nice,you go for it girl

Nowadays l prefer a bit more comfort but l realised some years ago that l didn't do"ordinary" camping (on a site with shower/toilet blocks) right when l didn't join the queue for the shower every morning. You're camping, for heaven's sake, can't you go a day or so without a wash from head to toe? l also neglected to bring my dressing gown, vase for flowers, stiletto heels (well, l never had any of those). Perhaps l'm not so mad after all.

Neeeeeed to get oot myself...:cool: won’t be for a wile yet tho :thumbsdown:....and yup I to have experienced the rolling eyes and “are you mad” comments..... mainly from the mother and wife:evileye: still if they understood why... then I would be camping with them:sad: and that my friends would most definitely be:poo: ...so happy days they think we’re a tad aff our nuts;) am quite happy to be solo in the forests or loch side with a rod....scratching my life sack with every intentions of doing naff all....can’t even remember the last time I put a hook on the end of the line;):D

That might explain why you havenae caught any fish you lummox ! ;)

Back