• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild Camping

Thank you Erbswurst, I've not really been into lightweight camping such as this before now but your bivvi set-up is fascinating and I'm learning a lot from your detailed photography.
There are huge gaps in my knowledge and equipment but articles like this really help to inspire me to do better, it would be interesting to see similar articles from other members with different environments and perspectives.

I know I've covered this subject before but this is aimed at the newer members who might be just starting out. Unlike a large permanent camp site where you probably have every mod con, when we go wild we carry just the basics which includes your water and toilet facilities, yes toilet facilities because we no longer dig a hole behind a bush.
One of the most important thing in my opinion is prevailing weather be you hammock camping under a tarp or using a small tent. Now where we are going for the summer meet the prevailing wind comes in from the west so when pitching your tarp or tent you want the back to be pointing south west so any wind rain or both will be hitting the rear of your shelter at about 45% , this is more important for those of you who will be under tarps. there isn't a nice warm drying room for you to hang your wet clothes where we are going.

Right any of the mods or the more experienced guys who want to add to this please feel free bearing in mind it is info aimed at the newer less experienced on the forum. Not aimed only at the summer meet but anytime they go on the wild side
Great thread Joe, I'm learning a lot, fast. More of the same or similar please.

Who is interested in the equipment I recommend, should have a look here in the forum to the thread
"How light is lightweight?"

There I try to continue with more interesting tipps for beginners.
Some great information Erbswurst so I thank you on behalf of the forum

Back