• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild venison loin 😁

Ark79

Site Manager
Thought I would treat myself today
1E7BD280-5894-4846-ADC1-F1EF513C0128.jpeg
55B15D05-780D-4728-8579-19D1DED418DE.jpeg

Looks awesome Mark, I love Venison and have put more Bambi’s on the ground than I can remember over the last thirty five years. A wonderful wild food, that is plentiful in these parts for sure.

We should eat more Venison, it is good for you.

One tip I was given by a top Chef who did courses for the British Deer Society, was, and I quote “White stuff is the enemy of Venison” So, with a very sharp knife, gently trim off any of that white connective tissue. It can can make the meet a bit tough, by, apparently, shrinking quickly when cooking, and literally squeezing the good juices from the meat. I started doing that when butchering carcasses, and it made a huge difference…….Shitbags was chuffed to bits as well! 👍

Looks awesome Mark, I love Venison and have put more Bambi’s on the ground than I can remember over the last thirty five years. A wonderful wild food, that is plentiful in these parts for sure.

One tip I was given by a top Chef who did courses for the British Deer Society, was, and I quote “White stuff is the enemy of Venison” So, with a very sharp knife, gently trim off any of that white connective tissue. It can can make the meet a bit tough, by, apparently, shrinking quickly when cooking, and literally squeezing the good juices from the meat. I started doing that when butchering carcasses, and it made a huge difference…….Shitbags was chuffed to bits as well! 👍

Cheers for the tip mike 👍🏻 it’s definitely going on the house menu

I completely agree, I always try to remove as much of the collagen from whatever meat I’m cleaning. On rabbits it can be done by pushing your thumb up underneath the thin film of collagen to separate it from the meat and then between the meat and the bone. Collagen is what anchors the muscle to the sinew and can make meat seem tough.

Back