• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor ....

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
B6A49BE5-6044-4E2D-92FF-D1D732C146D5.jpeg

Looks a good tool:thumbsup:
Can't I ask a daft question? It's not the type of knife I would know much about, but the spikes/serrations on the spine, what are their purpose? All I can think of is the obvious with most combat style knives, to cause as much injury as possible? Just wondering if they have any other purpose ;)

Can't I ask a daft question? It's not the type of knife I would know much about, but the spikes/serrations on the spine, what are their purpose? All I can think of is the obvious with most combat style knives, to cause as much injury as possible? Just wondering if they have any other purpose ;)
The shape is reminiscent of the puma white hunter I owned until it was stolen. Best knife by a country mile that I ever owned

Outside of films not many actual military knives have serrations as it can cause the blade to snag.

Reactions: Bam
One thing about that Paul Kirtley review irked me, in almost all things I would defer to his far superior knowledge but if he expects results from snares made with unseasoned brass snare wire then he is being unrealistic. All trace of oil and scent needs to be removed from the wire by a combination of repeatedly boiling it with vegetation and burying it in the ground to give it a natural scent.

One thing about that Paul Kirtley review irked me, in almost all things I would defer to his far superior knowledge but if he expects results from snares made with unseasoned brass snare wire then he is being unrealistic. All trace of oil and scent needs to be removed from the wire by a combination of repeatedly boiling it with vegetation and burying it in the ground to give it a natural scent.
That would explain why none of my snares have ever worked then! I used old guitar strings as that's what I could get my hands on. Didn't know about the seasoning thing.

Brass picture wire and a couple of tiny fairlead type eyelets make a pretty good snare but maybe that should go into another thread.

Back