• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

will be buying one Tuesday

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
My shooting has been left for too long, plenty of camping practice has been done and will carry on with the Veggies and and a bit more cooking to get used to the fero rods. But for the next few months "Sabrina" my Stoger air-rifle is going to get a proper seeing too (no jokes please)

does need some support of the barrel as the surpressor does make it very heavy and hard to keep still

Strangely you may find that it isn't as much help as you hoped, Spring powered air rifles can react very differently to shooting sticks or bipods. Some makes like Diana and Whiscombe managed to nullify the recoil of the spring (or springs) expanding.
Some springer rifles may be improved while others will be disappointing.

As Ystranc said its not ideal on a springer. They really need to be "loosely" held to allow the recoil to cycle, fix them rigidly with either sticks or a bipod and you tend to run in to trouble. Try using a single stick, extend your fingers and allow the rifle to loosely rest on them if you require support rather than resting it directly on the sticks in order to allow the rifle to move about a little :)

With a springer I brace my left elbow against my body and support the rifle under the fore stock at its centre of gravity, I let it just rest across the palm of my left hand while the butt is tucked well into my right shoulder with my right cheek on the comb of the stock. This is sometimes called the artillery hold.
Since also getting a cheap SMK CO2 rifle I'm totally amazed at how much lighter, more accurate and easier it is to use it is than my old Cometa 300.

Last edited:
Hi Med.

Just a thought for you mate.

If you want to try shooting from sticks with a Springer...... you may be better off using a Bipod rather than the Mono pod you have linked to:thumbsup:
The Mono pod will hold the weight of the rifle.......but will not offer the same stability as the Bipod.
Also with the Bipod you can rest your forehand in the cross section of the sticks at the top to cushion the stock and better allow the rifle to go through its shot cycle.......better than shooting directly off of the cross section and will help stop the rifle jumping around..........more control.

Even with the aid of the Bipod.......it will still take practice and getting used to........so don't expect too much too soon:thumbsup::)

Like I say.....just a thought.....happy shooting.

am actually going for the tripod, it looks like the barrel should rest on the top and be able to move Ok with little or no resistance, is very hard to keep still

The Tripod will be even better....... especially as you mainly target shoot.......but still try to shoot off hand rather than rest the stock directly on the sticks :thumbsup:
Definitely not a good idea to rest the barrel on anything......use the stock only.

Let us know how you get on....hope it works for you :)

If you rest the barrel then it affects how it resonates; that’s why the aim with most rifles is to “free float” the barrel so it is only attached at the chamber.

As others have said best to rest the stock, best yet to rest the hand loosely holding the stock.

Back