• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Window Bars

Keith , I know this is predominately a UK based/themed prepper forum but would you mind just taking 5 mins to tell me what Firearms ( Full auto? Semi Auto? Calibre restrictions? ) you are allowed over there and is it off of one licence as per the UK?? Just interested

Is Firearm ownership generally accepted or frowned upon ?
Some quick background: The government have always been anti-gun, but when the Tasmanian massacre happenned, certain firearms were banned & confiscated. Many people still think this shooting massacre was in fact orchestrated by the government so they could confiscate our guns. The rifle used in this massacre came from the police department, its serial number was registered as one of the guns someone had handed in earlier!

Full automatic rifles are totally banned. Semi-autos are banned unless you have a special commercial meat shooters permit. Pump action guns & rifles are totally banned. Handguns are only available on an H class licence & can only be used on a registered pistol club range. The H class licence is only issued to registered pistol club members. At present there are five licence categories, A,B,C, D, & H.

What are the licence categories are available to licence holders in NSW? Category A, B, C, D, H, Firearms Collector and Firearms Dealer. What firearms are applicable to a Category A firearms licence? * Air rifles. * Rimfire rifles (other than self-loading). * Shotguns (other than pump action or self-loading). * Shotgun/rimfire combinations. All prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited firearms are listed in Schedule 1 of the Firearms Act 1996. What firearms are applicable to a Category B firearms licence? * Muzzle-loading firearms (other than pistols). * Centre-fire rifles (other than self-loading). * Shotgun/centre-fire rifle combinations. All prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited firearms are listed in Schedule 1 of the Firearms Act 1996. What firearms are applicable to a Category C firearms licence? * Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds. * Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds. * Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds. These firearms are prohibited except for limited purposes. Some firearms, specifically those adapted for military purposes, are excluded under all circumstances from this licence category. What firearms are applicable to a Category D firearms licence? * Self-loading centre-fire rifles. * Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds. * Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds. * Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds. * Any firearms to which a Category C licence applies. These firearms are prohibited except for official purposes. Some firearms, specifically those adapted for military purposes, are excluded under all circumstances from this licence category. What firearms are applicable to a Category H firearms licence? * Pistols (including blank fire pistols and air pistols). Prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited pistols are not authorised for Sport/Target shooters. Are there restrictions on the types of firearms allowed for each genuine reason? Yes. There are restrictions on the category of licence, and therefore types of firearms, allowed for each genuine reason. See each individual genuine reason FACT Sheet for restrictions on licence category and types of firearms authorised for each genuine reason. Also, see the Genuine Reason Table available on the Licence and Genuine page. Are there restrictions on what the firearms can be used for? Yes. Firearms may only be used in connection with the purpose established by the person as being the genuine reason for possessing or using the firearm - sections 7 & 7A of the Firearms Act 1996. For example, if you have category A & B firearms for the sole genuine reason of Sport / Target shooting, you cannot use those firearms for any other purpose.

What about imitation firearms? Imitation firearms are defined in section 4D of the Firearms Act 1996. A person must obtain a firearms permit to possess or use imitation firearms. For more information on imitation firearms, see the FACT Sheet 'Imitation Firearms Permit' available on the Firearms Permit page on the Firearms Registry Internet site. Are there any restrictions on the number or type of firearms able to be acquired? Yes. There are restrictions on the acquisition of handguns for Probationary Pistol Licence holders. No Permits to Acquire a Handgun will be issued for the first six months of the probationary pistol licence. Only two Permits to Acquire will be issued in the second six months of the probationary pistol licence. As a Probationary Pistol Licence holder you may have a combination of any two handguns, with the exception that you must not possess a centrefire and a rimfire pistol at the same time, within the second six months. Are there restrictions on a category C licence? Yes. The number of firearms authorised under a Category C licence issued to a primary producer are limited to: * No more than one registered self-loading rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds, and * No more than one registered shotgun. Consideration may be given to increasing the number of firearms authorised under this licence, if a special need exists, and has been established to the satisfaction of the Commissioner. The special need could be the size of the rural property or because your activities involve more than one rural property. Are there restrictions on a category D licence? Yes. The number of firearms authorised under a Category D licence issued to a primary producer, (or a person who is the owner, lessee or manager of land used for primary production) and who is participating in an authorised campaign under the VPAC genuine reason, is restricted to one only.

I am a land owner, but not a primary producer.
Keith.

many years ago (1990) I lived in a bed sit, a multi occupational house, one morning very early the guy from the mortgage company that the landlord used open the front door with a set of spare keys and proceeded to enter some of the ground floor rooms(my room was upstairs), he nearly got pounced on by the 7 or 8 people living there, he thought the place was empty!! good job he wasn't a burglar with a set of keys or a pick locking set, or had just smashed a window to get in! no accounting to what would have happened with a load of bikers living there!!
People are not always what they seem. I had a problem one time with a couple of druggies who lived up the track a ways. I had been shooting this pack of feral dogs killing stock in the area. Two of their dogs went missing & they blamed me & came to sort me out. For some reason or other they called on a local bikie gang first, perhaps to get some intell, I don't know, but apparently they scared the hell out of this bikie gang. Next they came to my place, they were on motorcycle trail bikes. I was not at home, neither fortunately were my family (our vehicle had broken down & I had borrowed a local farmer's truck to go get some parts to fix it). They broke into my shed & stole my chainsaw.

I informed the police & they sent an officer out to investigate, the druggies scared him off too & he dropped in on us to tell us to stay away from them as they were dangerous! I figured I had done all that lawfully could be done, but obviously I could not let this slide. So I took care of it myself. They left the area & never came back. Sometimes a bikie gang & the police combined are just not enough, never underestimate how violent, intimidating & nasty some people can be.
PS. I figured that two druggies high on dope would not be able to take my chainsaw far on a motorcycle, so I tracked their movements through the forest, first on their bikes, then they went on foot. I found the chainsaw hidden not far from the boundary fence. Obviously they intended to come back later & pick it up.
Keith.

some years ago there was a family of thieves and burglars that moved into a small town about 13 miles north of here, the locals put up with it for so long, then one morning some of the locals caught the ringleader and hung him out of a upstairs window by his feet, he was told in no uncertain terms to "leave this town, and leave NOW", he and his family left the town that morning and were never seen there again!!:lol:

the same has happened in the UK several times, I think since the Tony Martin case most cases have been dropped after the initial arrest and investigation of the householders.
The Tony Martin arrest and prosecution was purely because his actions were considered to be premeditated. He had threatened to shoot any burglars in conversation beforehand. You are entitled to defend yourself from violence by RESPONDING with proportionate violence. If you are in immediate fear for your life or the life of another you may RESPOND with deadly force in an act of self defense. You must stop as soon as your attacker no longer poses a threat and there must have been no premeditation of violence on your part.

okay thanks, never had it explained that well and so succinct before!

The Tony Martin case is interesting. I worked with one of the Forensic Officers who worked on the case & on night shifts he’d bring in his videos of crimes he’d worked on & go through them with our shift. When Martin fired at the lad he killed he’d fired at his legs. The trouble was that the lad had jumped from a ground floor window & with the window being at a slightly different angle to the ground outside meant the lad took a body shot instead. However, as already stated, Martin had expressed his intention of shooting any burglar thus giving the prosecution the angle they needed.
Morale of the story, as expressed by colleague, is this....Never, ever, say you’ll kill an intruder even if you have every intention of doing so.

In my town of Concrete Cows & Roundabouts it not advisable to leave anything unlocked. We have shootings, stabbings, daily robberies & the Police are chasing their tails with regards to burglaries. Crime is rife yet, in our Close of 20 houses I know of 3 homeowners who don’t lock their front doors! One of these homeowners is a young mum of 2 little kids, the others are a young couple with 1 little kid & the other lot is a family of 3.
Unless someone tells us they’re coming round we don’t answer a knock at our door, no matter how many times they knock!

The Tony Martin arrest and prosecution was purely because his actions were considered to be premeditated. He had threatened to shoot any burglars in conversation beforehand. You are entitled to defend yourself from violence by RESPONDING with proportionate violence. If you are in immediate fear for your life or the life of another you may RESPOND with deadly force in an act of self defense. You must stop as soon as your attacker no longer poses a threat and there must have been no premeditation of violence on your part.
Doesn't work that way over here unfortunately. A female pensioner recently lost her gun & firearms licence for defending herself against three intruders. The gun was not fired.
Same thing happened recently with a farmer, intruder had a knife & a club. The farmer's gun was not loaded. The police confiscated the guns & revoked the farmer's & his wife's gun licences.
We have no right to armed self defence in Australia, & the UN Human Rights committee denies the right to armed self defence.
Keith.

Doesn't work that way over here unfortunately. A female pensioner recently lost her gun & firearms licence for defending herself against three intruders. The gun was not fired.
Same thing happened recently with a farmer, intruder had a knife & a club. The farmer's gun was not loaded. The police confiscated the guns & revoked the farmer's & his wife's gun licences.
We have no right to armed self defence in Australia, & the UN Human Rights committee denies the right to armed self defence.
Keith.

It seems very strange that when governments ban the public from owning firearms the criminals don’t seem to get the same memo we all get.

It is necessary for anyone who learns any form of self defence to also learn self control and the limits that the law places upon them, laws vary from country to country but rule of law is in effect it's important to comply with them.

It is necessary for anyone who learns any form of self defence to also learn self control and the limits that the law places upon them, laws vary from country to country but rule of law is in effect it's important to comply with them.
Not sure I quite understand what you are saying here Y, are you saying that these people were wrong to use a gun for self protection?
Keith.

I seem to recall that the Tony Martin issue had been going on for some time and the police had lost interest in his frequent complaints, this may in part have lead to the escalation.

Tony Martin I believe had been burgled several times before and had just about had enough of it.
the police weren't much use on those previous occasions.

Very true. Self control is the gap between self defence and violence.

Not sure I quite understand what you are saying here Y, are you saying that these people were wrong to use a gun for self protection?
Keith.
I'm saying that they need to remain within the law while laws exist, if they think the law has been misinterpreted then it's up to them to fight it in court. Whatever method of self defense that is used must be proportionate under UK law. I'm unsure of what the Australian laws are. While they may be similar I doubt they're the same word for word.

I seem to recall that the Tony Martin issue had been going on for some time and the police had lost interest in his frequent complaints, this may in part have lead to the escalation.
Agreed, there have been several cases where the police have neglected their duty to a victim of crime and it has resulted in a fatality. It only comes out if enough pressure is brought to start an IPCC investigation.

it has to be proportunate, you cant shoot some who has a knife, even if you wanted to, it has to be "reasonable force", i'm not sure if that has ever been explained to the general public and its very much in the lap of the gods, or how the judge is feeling that day, when it goes to court.

They really should come up with a clear definition of what is reasonable force. Generally I'd say we should be able to met lethal force with lethal force but it gets kind of foggy when it comes to blunt objects on whether to consider them lethal or non-lethal force.

when it comes to thumping someone with an object- because one thinks their life is in danger- prepared weapons are a no-no, so you cant use a hammer, a baseball or cricket bat, a knife, or numbchucks, a hatchet or an axe, however if you are an old lady who has trouble walking you can use a walking stick, or that chair that you backed into, it has to be something that just happened to be near and not a weapon.

when it comes to thumping someone with an object- because one thinks their life is in danger- prepared weapons are a no-no, so you cant use a hammer, a baseball or cricket bat, a knife, or numbchucks, a hatchet or an axe, however if you are an old lady who has trouble walking you can use a walking stick, or that chair that you backed into, it has to be something that just happened to be near and not a weapon.

Yes, the usual interpretation is that any object used for self defense must be an object that you could reasonably be in lawfull possession of for a legitimate purpose or have to hand at the time of the attack.

Yes, the usual interpretation is that any object used for self defense must be an object that you could reasonably be in lawfull possession of for a legitimate purpose or have to hand at the time of the attack.
which is what I was trying to say in a cack handed way!!:lol:

Back