• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

winter boots

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Right I'll really need winter boots but no way can afford Lowa ones, any cheaper suggestions appreciated.

Nice list Gav thanks mate. :thumbsup:

I would however suggest cutting the sponge for the dishes in half in order to save some weight pal ! ;)

Those boots aren't waterproof, I got a pair of lined waterproof Karrimor boots from Wynsors shoe shop for around £35 iirc

Karrimor do for me Al

I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are Joe, for a 'cheap' pair of boots they are warm and waterproof, waded through streams with no worries, and comfy as well if not just a tad on the moonboot size lmao, I'll see if I can find a link.

I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are Joe, for a 'cheap' pair of boots they are warm and waterproof, waded through streams with no worries, and comfy as well if not just a tad on the moonboot size lmao, I'll see if I can find a link.
My boots are pretty good but the soles are probably to flexible for really rough terrain, for rocky ground I prefer my Peter Storm boots which are a lot stiffer in the sole

They look good mate, I like the nice high ankle

Yeah plenty of support if not just a tad over big, but they are nice and warm, had them on at down to about -4 C and my feet were sound as a pound :) Of course we're looking at the possibility of lower than that so I'll take my Arctic boots as well :)

Yeah plenty of support if not just a tad over big, but they are nice and warm, had them on at down to about -4 C and my feet were sound as a pound :) Of course we're looking at the possibility of lower than that so I'll take my Arctic boots as well :)
During my time in the military I can honestly say I never got really cold feet though many did. Our boots weren't the best quality in those days but one thing I noticed especially with the younger soldiers was that they laced their boots far to tightly and for that reason their feet would get cold. two pairs of good socks and boots laced so the warm air could circulate always worked for me and that was in temps as low as -22

Yep, a common failing of many, as you say, you need room in the boots and socks for air to shift about, basically mimicking what you would do to your torso clothing system ish ;)

Yep, a common failing of many, as you say, you need room in the boots and socks for air to shift about, basically mimicking what you would do to your torso clothing system ish ;)
exactly Al, layers and air movement prevent the build up of sweat and its the sweat that turns cold

Thanks Matt, Al and Joe for the links and advice. The Karrimor boots look ideal. I'll shop around and see if I can get them any cheaper too. :)

Found them at £40 incl postage. How are they on width Al? (I have quite wide feet)

Plenty of room, my feet get lost in them but I have slimish feet, should be ok though imo :)

BIG edit, just had a feeling so looked, I got a size up, I take an 8 but have the 9 to accommodate 2 pairs of socks if needed, must have been a rare moment of clarity lmao, so that explains the moonboot feel but it's not too bad, you could always order 2 pair and send the ones back that are wrong ?

Found them at £40 incl postage. How are they on width Al? (I have quite wide feet)
They are a fairly wide boot Paul , I would personally recommend going up half a size though to allow for an extra pair of socks

hmm I take an 8.5/9 but the next size up is 10 and I think that might be too big. I'll do as suggested and order 9 and 10 (and I'll get free shipping then too LOL)

Back