• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

winter boots

Yes, they are Joe...the others were a very good buy and turned out to be excellent boots that have lasted very well given the conditions they have been through.
The old ones are still usable but showing the signs of hard use and wear.
Still, have my hiking and walking boots......but they do not get as much use these days...the pull on ones suit my needs better at the moment.

Yes, they are Joe...the others were a very good buy and turned out to be excellent boots that have lasted very well given the conditions they have been through.
The old ones are still usable but showing the signs of hard use and wear.
Still, have my hiking and walking boots......but they do not get as much use these days...the pull on ones suit my needs better at the moment.
Also better for your back than the lace up ones

When you have a a walk or two in them let us know what you think of them.
Hi Bill, I'm over the moon with the Lowa boots i've just bought. Been on a few dog walks wearing them, they're real comfy and fit like a glove :)

The flex lacing system with tongue stud is a bit different from other boots i've had, you can dial in how tight you like them laced up, from the toe box, up through the ankle.

Another plus, they're real easy to put on, take off, as the laces unhook a good way down the boot.

Overall i'm really pleased i bought them.

Ideal winter boot, use my Lowa desert elites for the Summer :thumbsup:

Most of my best kit purchases, have been ebay buys :thumbsup::D

That's good to hear mate....a great result....thats you sorted for the Winter months.
I'm nearly sorted mate, still need a decent pair of breathable waterproof trousers. i've got a few decent waterproof jackets :thumbsup:

I'm scanning ebay daily, see if a decent pair pop up :thumbsup::D

The postman delivered a pair of brown non-goretex Altberg Defender boots today.

They are surplus as I can't afford the sort of cash that the new ones go for but boy are they in good nick with the soles looking like new.

One or two scuffs at the front of each boot but for £35 delivered I am well pleased ! :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Size-8-W-...966164?hash=item544e3e6a54:g:Z8cAAOSwng9ZqslD

I might try to get a black pair now or I could just borrow some of Gav's left over shoe dye ! ;)

@WildWood1965 How have you found the Altberg Defender boots you got recently.
The heel of one of my boots has now collapsed and its leaking so its time for me to get another pair and was looking at the selection from that eBay seller.
Are they fairly wide? (I have big bunions LOL)
How is the waterproofness?

my advice would be to only buy boots you have tried on.

When altberg got the military boot contract they had to outsource production and there can be a big difference between altbergs made in North Yorkshire and contracted ones. Buying unseen you might not be getting what you think.

Incidentally Mendl had the same issue.

Good point 38. I'm hunting for size 9 wide but I need to make sure they're returnable too. Going in to a surplus store in Glasgow today but they're double the price of the eBay ones in there. I'll try on the 9 but they don't have the 9W.
Thanks

@WildWood1965 How have you found the Altberg Defender boots you got recently.
The heel of one of my boots has now collapsed and its leaking so its time for me to get another pair and was looking at the selection from that eBay seller.
Are they fairly wide? (I have big bunions LOL)
How is the waterproofness?

Hi Paul,

I have not had a chance to test them out yet mate & 38 sounds like he has got the inside track on surplus boots. It would not surprise me either if the contract boots are not as good as the ones made in the UK.

Time will will tell but mine do look good for the money I spent.

I got an 8M which are the same size as my Meindl issue desert boots that I got for £30 in supergrade.

Surplus can be a bit of a risk but over the years I have done pretty well buying Supergrade or Grade 1 stuff.

Endicotts & Surplus & Outdoors are good & so is Strikeforce Supplies ! :thumbsup:

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/

https://strikeforcesupplies.com/

Thanks Neil,
I'll look into it a bit more. Taking Daniel to airsoft (Section 8) next Sunday and it's been very wet up here so I might just wear the big Karrimors and leave the old boots in the car for backup in case the Karrimors are too cumbersome.
I'll be taking the wee action camera too so look out for the vid :)

Just to return to this conversation.

I bought a pair of size 9 Wide. HAIX High Liability Combat boots from that eBay seller for £30 delivered.
https://www.haix.co.uk/haix-boots-combat-high-liability-male-brown

I must say that they're the most comfortable boots I've ever had. Hardly used, great tread and fully waterproof.
I've been hiking in the woods, charging about playing airsoft and just generally wearing them everywhere (even the pub).
Money well spent (although I take 38th's point about the risk of buying unseen but it worked this time)

Nice find.....from the write up they sound like good boots.
Have you.......or will you buy the Haix boot care for them??

Back