• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland winter prep a few questions

I think in the winter months I would concentrate on my shelter/tarp first and foremost. ( The outer Shell )

Unfortunately, the winds are rarely a constant as far as strength and direction goes.......it can change strength and direction in a heartbeat.
The winds can swirl around the edges of a tarp and draw rain/snow into or onto your hammock especially the foot or headends.
Best to make use of any natural windbreaks....and pitch low.

Even adapt your tarp, get the sewing machine out and get creative......add some flaps.....velcro.....toggles.....anything that will make your pitching and speed more effective.

upload_2017-11-15_9-14-40.jpeg

Im lucky that I have a Hammock which I can zip up and keep the wind and weather out....I trust and have confidence in it.
If I did not have it......I would definitely adapt a good sized tarp that suited my personal needs :thumbsup:

Its nice to have the open aspect and the ability to look around from the hammock....but....when it takes a turn for the worst its good to know you can baton down and ride it out in safety and comfort :thumbsup:

I'd always recommend at least a tarp as somewhere to administer yourself as in my experience if the weather is bad then the transition from outside a bivi bag to inside a bivi bag is practically impossible without getting the sleeping bag wet. with a tarp yopu have cover to remove waterproofs, change socks if wet, remove damp layers etc and something to keep your kit (relatively) dry overnight.

Maybe that didn't come over right, yes I always have a tarp over, by in the open I meant open ended shelter, A frame tarp set up etc :) I like a little comfort lol and a tarp can make a great tent if the weather was to turn :)

I'd always recommend at least a tarp as somewhere to administer yourself as in my experience if the weather is bad then the transition from outside a bivi bag to inside a bivi bag is practically impossible without getting the sleeping bag wet. with a tarp yopu have cover to remove waterproofs, change socks if wet, remove damp layers etc and something to keep your kit (relatively) dry overnight.

I was thinking bivvy bag under the tarp for an added layer of warmth 38

Back