• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Winter.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Not wanting to wish the time away....but :) Autumn/Winter is on its way.
Looking at the kit now for the winter Scotland meet in January.
Got the majority covered.....all in order....but will be looking at some new base layers and mid layers very soon.
Maybe some Gators.....ripped my last pair cocking my leg over a barbed wire fence while out shooting :rolleyes:

Yep, it won't be long until the white stuff is here, I'm in need of some new base layers, might have a look at the bamboo range, meant to be good?

@Bopdude

Just had a quick look around at the Bamboo range Al.......the reviews all seem complimentary.

I especially liked this quote!! :rofl:

One of the many things about it that I liked was the flattering fit. Narrow shoulders and a waist that has a tendency to expand can be a bad look, but the BAM Reflex is kind to body shapes that arenā€™t quite godlike.

The prices are keen to.......... compared to some on the market šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

That's a great quote, the prices are a bit keen as you say but they do get good reviews.

When I say Keen Al........... I meant priced well..... compared to some of the other high performing brands :thumbsup:

i've had some of that bamboo base layer stuff, though it was a few years ago now. comfy as hell when dry but woe to the man who gets soaked in them, expect it to take F O R E V E R for the bloody things to dry. not quite the heat-suck that wet cotton is but damn near. oh, and quite the odor traps as well as i recall.

personally i'll take merino for base layers any day, not the warmest stuff but wet or dry it's reasonably comfy and won't turn you into a popsicle in the wet.

i will be looking for new base layers as well :)

any lincs you guys find will save me trawling the nett :thumbsup:

Been using Helly Hensen for a few years now Matt.

Also Helly Hensen Lifa Marino wool top in combination together.

Cant fault it and will more than likely go the same route to be honest.....better the Devil you know......recommend :thumbsup:

i will be looking for new base layers as well :)

any lincs you guys find will save me trawling the nett :thumbsup:
šŸ˜‰

Just a thought.....but I realise not everyones cup of tea.

On the longer stay trips in the colder months (Scotland) for example...... our feet are in our boots for a good few hours each day.
Its nice to wash and powder the feet and rest them in a nice dry and warm pair of slipper shoes.
Some come with hard soles and are waterproof......for those who suffer with cold feet.....they can be worn inside the sleeping bag.
Nice if you are kicked back in the tent chillaxing for an hour or cooking a meal.......easy to slip on if you need a pee outside during the night.

A pair of trainers or house slippers would do.......but maybe not quite as warm nor comfortable?

Example:

They don't take up much room in the kit bag/pack...... and on a feel good factor......they offer the same comfort and moral boost as a nice hot cup of hot tea.......well.....almost :rofl:

Coming back to this thread.

While laying out the Winter kit on the floor the other day and checking everything from tip to toe.....Hats to boots gloves etc......I realised I have misplaced my Buff.....hopefully it will turn up somewhere in a pocket or bag......if not I will definitely need to get another.

On a personal note I love the things.....multi functional and keeps the head and neck warm.....not as bulky as scarfs.....easy to dry if they get a bit damp or wet.
Easy to wear a hat over if you feel the need.
Still have the neck Gaiter :thumbsup:

They do not cost a lot for what they offer the wearer.

Anyone else rate them and use them?

i carry a wee fleece one in my left thigh pocket pretty much constantly. not sure it it's a quirk of my physiology or what but if i'm out and about and starting to catch a bit of a chill i pop the buff on, pull it down around my neck, stuff it in between my base layer and bush shirt and i'm usually good to go. saves having to sling off the pack and dig out my jumper or jacket which would likely end up being overkill anyway.

Last year I had the finger hovering over a snow shovel to take to Scotland.
I did not bother in the end...... due to the travel restrictions that were put into place making the travel and meet impossible.

Handy to have around the home and in the back of the car if we get a good covering this Winter......home or away.

For camp......handy to have.... to clear/level off an area to pitch the tent on......save on some of the humps bumps and hollows beneath.......also clearing snow from and around the tent......and dare I say it.....dig a car out if needs be :whistle: :D

Not wanting anything to elaborate just something without a pointed/curved blade end.

Might have a punt at something like this nearer the time......decision and purchase dependent on conditions šŸ¤”

Tick Tock..........:thumbsup:

a few years back me and gav did our first wildcamp in Scotland and we visited the green wellie stop and picked up a couple of these jumpers ,,, super warm well worth the out lay i can 100% recommend getting one as mine is still like new even thou its 4/5 years old now :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back