• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wiping his feet on the mat?

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
With the wet season now upon us, The Boy and I were over in the workshop this evening preparing some equipment for our wet season chores.

Coming back across to the house we find an juvenile black head snake on the kitchen doormat. He slithered off under the kitchen floor as we stepped over him. I recognise this particular fella from a couple of years ago but didn't see him around the house last year. Did he move somewhere else for a spell last wet season? Do snakes do that? šŸ¤”

Alan

IMG-20211111-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20211111-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe he just ate well last year and spent a lot of time sleeping.
Mike

As I've mentioned in previous posts, our snakes all go to ground during the cooler, drier months and fire weather. They stay under the house, in the gutters or in wall cavities of the sheds. I'm don't think they hibernate but they're inactive. Just as you suggest.

Then with the warm monsoon season they pop out again. Year after year in the same places. They need to feed up during the wet to get through the inactive dry phase.

We get used to seeing them all around the house and occasionally inside. But can't recall ever seeing one on the doormat before. So I snapped the pic!

Alan

Only real men and 'real Boys' step over snakes. Especially when they want to get back into their homes.

Wouldn't have stepped over a brown snake a taipan or a death adder though... but a Blackie is fine. Make great family pets...šŸ‘

Alan

Last edited:
Are Death Adders dangerous Alan. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
Despite the name they are not as nasty as a western brown or a Taipan. The latter is seriously venomous. A nip from a Taipan and its all over. I've heard of people surviving a death adder sting. Not a Taipan though. It gets a tooth in you and its always fatal.

Death adder is a very small snake. Hard to see curled in leaves..ankle biter. Taipan is a very large snake ten to twelve foot and thick as your arm, like a king cobra, but much, much more venomous.

Death adders are common around here. Only seen a Taipan once. Thank God.

Last edited:
My snake awareness is ā€¦. See a snake and go/run in the opposite direction, not a snake fan šŸ˜‚ would rather wrestle an alligator

Iā€™m sure I have told this story before, somewhere on this forum lolā€¦. Any hoo , my cousin use to keep reptiles, snakes and lizardsā€¦. He had a large bedroom dedicated to reptilesā€¦ so myself and my father was to deliver a 6foot boa constrictor (Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what it was ) to my cousin from my fatherā€™s mate , as we drove down the motorway the bloody burger got out the hold-all at my feet and started to slither up my leg šŸ˜³ fear and panic came over me and sitting there shiting myself calling on my daddy to help watching this bloody thing get closer and closer to my chest ā€¦. The old git couldnā€™t help for laughter šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø What felt like a lifetime (around 10 minutes lol) it all ended well with a few blue words šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t like snakes!

However I did get talk into a show and tell at pets at home in Stirling, again for my cousinā€¦ my job was to hold the big yellow snake ā€œbig girlā€ 14 foot long and show her off ā€¦. That ended quickly as it constricted round my shouldersā€¦.again more laughter and no help ā€¦. So I offered my cousin this ā€œšŸ–•šŸ»ā€œ and walked out vowing never to repeat šŸ˜‚

I really donā€™t like snakes!

Iā€™m sure I have told this story before, somewhere on this forum lolā€¦. Any hoo , my cousin use to keep reptiles, snakes and lizardsā€¦. He had a large bedroom dedicated to reptilesā€¦ so myself and my father was to deliver a 6foot boa constrictor (Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what it was ) to my cousin from my fatherā€™s mate , as we drove down the motorway the bloody burger got out the hold-all at my feet and started to slither up my leg šŸ˜³ fear and panic came over me and sitting there shiting myself calling on my daddy to help watching this bloody thing get closer and closer to my chest ā€¦. The old git couldnā€™t help for laughter šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø What felt like a lifetime (around 10 minutes lol) it all ended well with a few blue words šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t like snakes!

However I did get talk into a show and tell at pets at home in Stirling, again for my cousinā€¦ my job was to hold the big yellow snake ā€œbig girlā€ 14 foot long and show her off ā€¦. That ended quickly as it constricted round my shouldersā€¦.again more laughter and no help ā€¦. So I offered my cousin this ā€œšŸ–•šŸ»ā€œ and walked out vowing never to repeat šŸ˜‚

I really donā€™t like snakes!
Mark

Aren't there a few of species of snake in the UK? Surely you encounter them when out bush. Obviously you aren't that squeamish about them or you wouldn't be an outdoors man and would move to New Zealand or Ireland ( are those places without snakes?)

One thing for snakes in equatorial North Australia: extremely venomous ( the most venomous terestrial snakes on the planet!) but with the exception of the mighty Taipan, not really aggressive.

Go to Africa and check out their Mambas... they'll come chasing you out of the bush... And in the Congo, that big Gabon Viper sits on logs across forest trails and strikes at every opportunity...

I've still got the skin of a big one who had a go at me 30 years ago nailed to my study wall.... I guess I came out best on that occaision.šŸ¤£

Alan

The only venomous snake in the UK is the adder, usually found in open grassland and margins, theyā€™re very rare and shy. I seriously doubt Mark will ever have to run away screaming like a little girl but if it did happen I would pay good money to see it.

Mark

Aren't there a few of species of snake in the UK? Surely you encounter them when out bush. Obviously you aren't that squeamish about them or you wouldn't be an outdoors man and would move to New Zealand or Ireland ( are those places without snakes?)

One thing for snakes in equatorial North Australia: extremely venomous ( the most venomous terestrial snakes on the planet!) but with the exception of the mighty Taipan, not really aggressive.

Go to Africa and check out their Mambas... they'll come chasing you out of the bush... And in the Congo, that big Gabon Viper sits on logs across forest trails and strikes at every opportunity...

I've still got the skin of a big one who had a go at me 30 years ago nailed to my study wall.... I guess I came out best on that occaision.šŸ¤£

Alan

Thereā€™s not much that scares me Alan , but snakes are at the top of my list of things that make me shudder lolā€¦.

As @Ystranc said , the uk only has one venomous snake the adder and Iā€™ve never seen one so no worries there lol

Back