• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

With so many new faces here a question often asked

Bear actually never made any secret about the fact that when he can he stays in hotels. The whole idea of his programs is to show you how to react in given situation. For me he takes far to many risks but then he has a rope crew and a full medical team with him. Ray Mears has a great deal of knowledge but he is a highly skilled woodsman rather than a survivalist, strip away his knives,axes and other gadgets then how good would he be?

How about Chris Ryan ( the one that got away ) ? 160 km escape and evasion through enemy occupied desert in first Gulf war .

Perfect combo of bushcraft , survival , fitness ,perseverance and guile .....
Very true Rob, thats what he trained for. I'm on about stripping these experts right back to basics then kicking them out the door. Les Stroud the american expert never goes anywhere without an epirb and a gps

They all lie to some extent, from Dave telling porkies about his special forces background to Bear going back to a nice hotel for the evening

" Les Stroud the American expert never goes anywhere without an epirb and a gps" Any sensible person would carry that type of kit, my little group carried a Spot Beacon.

Very true Rob, thats what he trained for. I'm on about stripping these experts right back to basics then kicking them out the door. Les Stroud the american expert never goes anywhere without an epirb and a gps

I remember watching Les Stroud on TV , every episode he mentioned caution in case he snapped an ankle 🤔🤪

I’m sure I could learn something from all of them but I’d plump for Ray or Stephanie margeth (and her sister)

I used to watch some of her stuff on youtube, didn't know she had a sister.... interesting....
Not sure I rate her 'skillz' and seems a bit of an attention seeker although I've not looked at her stuff for a couple years.. There's Survival Lily too if that's your bag.

Have to say Ray as well. Not just for his obvious skills and knowledge but also his general philosophy towards nature and life in general.

Although I also really enjoy watching mike mcquilton's stuff on YouTube. A shame he has called time on doing that full time now but what's there is an good catalogue of stuff. Again I think part of the appeal is his air of relaxed knowledge.

Yes, Survival Lilly is the best!

She is sexy and I love her Bavarian accent!
(Prussians love people speaking English with Bavarian accent. You all should speak English with Bavarian accent!)

OK, she has nearly no idea about bushcraft, but that doesn't matter!

If I can't see here, I watch the man on the log:
Paul Kirtleys blog, Paul Kirtleys log!

I prefere him by far, because I easily can understand him. He speaks English like my teachers told me how it should be pronounced! That's sympathic!

I don't learn so much by watching him, because I'm myself not so bad, but usually I can't find any reason to become angry about him, and that's important for a nice TV evening!

Bear actually never made any secret about the fact that when he can he stays in hotels. The whole idea of his programs is to show you how to react in given situation. For me he takes far to many risks but then he has a rope crew and a full medical team with him. Ray Mears has a great deal of knowledge but he is a highly skilled woodsman rather than a survivalist, strip away his knives,axes and other gadgets then how good would he be?

If that's the criteria, my vote goes to Will Lord (look him up on the YouTubes). Not strictly a survivalist or bushcrafter, but a master flint knapper and all round expert on making and using prehistoric tools and weaponry from scratch. You could plonk him straight back into the stone age and he would do just fine.

Back